How To Apply
All applications are processed by the Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions and must be filled out online. The online application can be found here.
Admission is made on a rolling basis. Upcoming application deadlines are:
|Deadlines||Winter 2024||Spring 2024||Summer 2024||Fall 2024|
- Personal Statement (no longer than 4 pages). In your personal statement please address the following questions: Explain why you are interested in our program and how you see it fitting in with your long term professional ambitions. Try, if possible, to comment in your statement on what one or more of the terms “compassionate care,” “medical humanities,” and “bioethics” mean to you. How do these areas of study mesh with where you see your career plans developing at this point in your life?
- 3 letters of recommendation. Ideally at least two of your letters should be from professors/instructors
whom you have worked with. If you have earned a degree in the past 5 years then two
of these recommendations must come from professors at the degree granting program.
*Current MD students applying for the MD/MA program can ask to have the letters of recommendation that were submitted with their MD application reviewed for their MA application.
- An official transcript is required for any college coursework completed at academic institutions outside of Stony Brook. Applicants who have completed coursework at Stony Brook University do not need to send their official Stony Brook transcripts, as these can be retrieved internally.
*Official paper transcripts can be sent to:
Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions
Health Sciences Tower
Stony Brook University
Level 2, Room 271
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8276
*Official electronic transcripts (or “eTranscripts”) can be sent to the Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions at email@example.com
Additional Documents that may be required
- Official TOEFL scores.
- Applicants with international credentials must submit an official English translation of
all coursework showing a complete course by course record, GPA, degree, and institution, in
addition to the original documents. SBU graduate admissions personnel will evaluate
coursework, GPA, degree requirements, and institutional equivalence. In some instances
where the coursework, degree equivalency, GPA, and/or institution cannot be verified,
a course-by-course evaluation from one of Stony Brook University's approved NACES (www.naces.org) members listed below, may be requested from the applicant.
a. World Education Services (WES)
b. International Education Evaluations, Inc. (IEE)
c. Education Credential Evaluators (ECE)
- Proof of Permanent Residency. Required for students who declare themselves as Permanent Residents.
For further information please contact:
Graduate Program Coordinator
April Bortzfield, MSEd
Phone: (631) 444-8029