How To Apply
All applications are processed by the Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions Office and must be filled out online. The online application can be found here.
Admission is made on a rolling basis. Upcoming application deadlines are:
|Deadlines||Spring 2022||Summer 2022||Fall 2022|
- Personal Statement (no longer than 4 pages). In your personal statement please address the following questions: Explain why you are interested in our program and how you see it fitting in with your long term professional ambitions. Try, if possible, to comment in your statement on what one or more of the terms “compassionate care,” “medical humanities,” and “bioethics” mean to you. How do these areas of study mesh with where you see your career plans developing at this point in your life?
- 3 letters of recommendation, to be submitted online or by regular mail to the Center
(address below). Ideally at least two of your letters should be from professors/instructors
whom you have worked with. If you have earned a degree in the past 5 years then two
of these recommendations must come from professors at the degree granting program.
*Current MD students applying for the MD/MA program can ask to have the letters of recommendation that were submitted with their MD application reviewed for their MA application.
- An official transcript is required for any college coursework completed at academic
institutions outside of Stony Brook. Applicants who have completed coursework at Stony
Brook University do not need to send their official Stony Brook transcripts, as these
can be retrieved internally.
*Official paper transcripts can be sent directly to the Center’s mailing address at the bottom of this page.
*Official electronic transcripts (or “eTranscripts”) can be sent directly to April Bortzfield at April.Bortzfield@stonybrookmedicine.edu.
Additional Documents that may be required
- Official TOEFL scores. Required for students who declare a language other than English as their native language.
- Proof of Permanent Residency. Required for students who declare themselves as Permanent Residents.
For further information please contact:
Graduate Program Coordinator
April Bortzfield, MSEd
Phone: (631) 444-8029
Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care & Bioethics
Health Sciences Center
Level 3, Suite 080
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8335