Welcome, International Students!
Stony Brook University offers a world of possibilities, with more than 200 academic programs, exciting undergraduate research opportunities and an ideal location for learning on Long Island's North Shore — just 60 miles from New York City.
Why Choose Stony Brook?
- The QS World University Rankings lists Stony Brook among the top 1% of higher education institutions in the world
U.S. News & World Reportranks SBU among the top 100 universities and top 40 public universities in the nation
- 98% of tenured/tenure-track faculty hold doctoral degrees or the highest degrees in their fields
- You'll find first-rate opportunities for research at facilities such as Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Stony Brook is a member of the prestigious, invitation-only Association of American Universities — along with Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Yale, America’s top research universities
Did You Know?
- Our award-winning faculty include the winners of Nobel Prizes, Pulitzer Prizes, MacArthur Fellowships, the Fields Medal in Mathematics, and Grammy Awards.
- C.N. Yang, Albert Einstein Professor Emeritus of the C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics, was Stony Brook’s first Nobel Prize winner.
- The MRI technology that won the Nobel Prize for Medicine was invented at Stony Brook.
Student Body Profile
- 2,581 International Undergrads
- 100+ Countries
- 91-97 High School GPA (3.6-4.0)
- 80 Minimum TOEFL iBT
- 640-750 SAT scores: math
- 590-690 SAT scores: reading/writing
- 26-32 ACT scores
- 3,372 First-year students
- 17,909 Undergraduates
- 26,814 Total students
- 51:49% Males:Females in first-year class