Stony Brook Experts
an online search tool for members of the media to identify experts at Stony Brook
Basil Rigas is a specialist in gastroenterology. In recent years, his focus has been on cancer prevention. He is recognized internationally for his research on the prevention of colon cancer using traditional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), nitric-oxide-donating NSAIDs, and other pharmacological agents. He also has pioneered the application of infrared spectroscopy to biology with an emphasis on cancer, and holds several relevant patents. A new area of his work concerns the use of nanotechnology in cancer prevention and treatment.
- Medical School, University of Athens
- Doctorate in Science, University of Athens
- Residency, Brown University, Medicine
- Fellowship, Brandeis University, Biochemistry
- Fellowship, Yale-New Haven Hospital, Gastroenterology