Select Awards & Recognition
Selected Honors and Fellowships
|Election as a Fellow (American Chemical Society)||2021|
|Election as a Fellow (National Academy of Inventors)||2019|
|2017-2018 Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities (SUNY Stony Brook)||2018|
|Election as a Fellow (Royal Society of Chemistry)||2018|
|National Academy of Inventors (Inaugural member of Stony Brook University Chapter)||2016|
|Inorganic Nanoscience Award (American Chemical Society)||2015|
|Faculty Honor Wall honoree (SUNY Stony Brook)||2013|
|Election as an American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow||2012|
|Buck-Whitney Award (Eastern New York ACS Section)||2009|
|Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship||2006-2008|
|CAREER Award for “Rational Synthesis and Studies of Functionalized Carbon Nanotubes” (National Science Foundation)||2004-2008|
|3M Nontenured Faculty Award||2002-2004|
Selected Synergistic Activities
• Executive Editor (August 28, 2018 – present) and Associate Editor (January 1, 2014 – present) of ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
• Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Chemistry of Materials (2008 - 2013) and of ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces (2013).
• Section editor (2010-2013) for the ‘Materials: synthesis and self-assembly’ section of Nanotechnology and current member of editorial advisory boards of both Nanotechnology (2010 – present) and of Nano Futures (2017 – present).
• Guest editor of Special themed collection on “Sustainable Nanotechnology”, Chemical Society Reviews, volume 44, issue 16, August 21, 2015. Guest editor of the ‘Green Nanotechnology’, Special issue, Nanotechnology, volume 23, issue 29, July 27, 2012. Co-editor for the following volumes of the Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings Series: ‘Recent Advances in the Structural Characterization of Materials’ (Fall 2014); ‘Sustainable synthesis of Nanomaterials’, vol. 1386E; and ‘Low-dimensional Functional Nanostructures – Fabrication, Characterization, and Applications’, vol. 1258.
• Member of the Materials Research Society National Nanotechnology Initiative Task Force (Summer 2010).
• Nanoscience Chair-Elect (2008), Nanoscience Chair (2009), and Nanoscience Programming Chair (2009-2012) of the Inorganic Chemistry Division ( American Chemical Society).
• Chair of the Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN) User Executive Committee at BNL (2009 – 2010; 2013-2014; and 2016-2017).
• Co-organizer of the following joint National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) / CFN Users’ Meetings: (a) 2010 – “Understanding and Mitigating the Effects of Climate Change Using Synchrotron and Nanoscience Research”; (b) 2013 - “Telling our Story, Sharing our Science”; and (c) 2016 – “Illuminating our Future”.
• Scientific advisory board member of the Association of Students and Postdoctoral Fellows (ASAP) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (2010 - 2017).
• Member of the Institutional Nanoscience Safety Advisory Committee at Brookhaven National Laboratory (2006 - 2014).
• Co-organizer of the “Sustainable Synthesis of Nanomaterials” Symposium at the Fall 2011 Materials Research Society Meeting. Co-organizer of the Green Chemistry sessions (Synthesis of nanomaterials using green chemistry principles) at the ‘Nanotechnology and the Environment’ Symposium, sponsored by the Division of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, at the 231 st, 233 rd, 235 th, 237 th , 239 th, and 241 st American Chemical Society National Meetings (2006-11).