High School WISE
High School WISE provides multi-faceted programs designed for young women who show academic promise or interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through collaboration with Eastern Suffolk BOCES. WISE aims to encourage young women to pursue STEM by linking Stony Brook University graduate and faculty mentors with high school students. Mentors work closely with H.S. WISE students in their field of expertise to provide hands-on experiences. H.S. WISE is a three-year program that focuses on a different aspect of STEM learning and research each year. Students meet afterschool for 10 two hour sessions.
- 10 two-hour sessions at Stony Brook University
- STEM educational enrichment program
- WISE University Mentoring by faculty and graduate students
- Research opportunities
- Field Trips - Brookhaven National Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Stony Brook Southampton - SoMAS
- Career Speakers
- Capstone Event
- Invitation to WISE and Stony Brook University events - Engineering Day, The Empowerment Project, etc.
11th Grade: Students participate in smaller group activities led by faculty and graduate WISE mentors. During this year, they delve deeper into a STEM discipline with one mentor.
12th Grade: Students choose from participating in a group research project, a college science or math course through the Young Scholars Program, independent research, or an individual project. Students choosing to pursue a project will be linked with a WISE mentor to assist them through their process.
- Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Linguistics & Neuroscience
- Chemistry (Geo & Bio)
- MATlab & Java coding
- Civil Engineering
- Marine Sciences