The program encourages a diverse applicant pool that is inclusive of, but not limited to, members of underrepresented groups in STEM (e.g., African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, including Alaska Natives and Native Pacific Islanders, persons with disabilities, first generation, rural, veterans and in some STEM disciplines, women).
To qualify for WISE, applicants must be entering college directly from high school and have a demonstrated aptitude and interest in science, mathematics, or engineering. Admission is highly competitive. Students are first admitted to the university before being admitted into the WISE program.
Students using The Common Application or Coalition Application can apply
on their application. Those who submit the SUNY Application must apply for honors
programs and upload an essay (on a topic of your choosing) in your
SBU applicant portal.
Applicants must upload a brief statement in your applicant portal on why you believe you will be a good fit for WISE Honors. For Scholars for Medicine applicants, an additional essay is required and should be submitted in your applicant portal.
Follow these steps to apply:
Apply for honors programs within Stony Brook's Member Questions section of The Common Application.
Submit an essay on any of The Common Application's accepted topics in the Writing section.
If you are applying to the Scholars for Medicine Program, submit an additional essay within our Common Application Writing Supplement on the topic: "What aspects about medicine intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life."
- Stony Brook offers applicants three options for submitting their high school record:
1. Ask your high school to submit your transcript electronically through The Common Application's School Forms System.
2. Ask your high school to fax or mail us your official high school transcript, along with the Transmittal Form .
- Have the testing agency send us your SAT or ACT scores electronically ( College Board code is 2548; ACT code is 2952). Those taking the ACT are required to submit scores that include the optional ACT Writing Test.
- Send two Teacher Evaluations. One must be from a math or science teacher. Electronic submission through The Common Application's School Forms System is preferred. Paper recommendationsmust be faxed to (631) 632-9898.
Please fax all paper documents to: (631) 632-9898. Credentials faxed directly from the high school do not need to be mailed in hard copy. If items cannot be faxed, please send them to:
Stony Brook University
UG Processing - Honors Programs
Albany, NY 12204-2755
Please be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
For more information about applying, please visit Stony Brook University Undergraduate Admissions .
The WISE Program reserves the right to not consider applicants who do not meet the minimum application criteria of a 93 unweighted high school average and math SAT of 630