Directions to Stony Brook University
How to get to Stony Brook University from…
• MacArthur Airport (ISP): MacArthur Airport is located in Islip, about 15 miles away from Stony Brook. It is most easily accessible by car (rental counters are available at the airport). You can also take the Suffolk County Bus S57 (schedule) to the Smith Haven Mall (final stop). There you can transfer to the S60 (schedule), where you will get off at the University Administration Building, or the 3D (schedule), where you will get off at the University Student Union. Alternatively, shuttle service is available from Spartan Limousine, phone 631-928-5454.
• John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK): To get to Stony Brook University from John F. Kennedy Airport you can take the AirTrain to the Jamaica stop, and then take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Stony Brook. The best way to pay for both the AirTrain and LIRR fares is to buy a combined ticket at the LIRR vending machines before leaving the Jamaica AirTrain stop. Alternatively, shuttle service is available from Spartan Limousine, phone 631-928-5454.
• LaGuardia Airport (LGA): From LaGuardia Airport you can take a taxi for approximately $12 - $14 to the closest Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) train station: the Woodside train station. From Woodside, you may take the LIRR to Stony Brook by transferring at the Jamaica train station. Alternatively, shuttle service is available from Spartan Limousine, phone 631-928-5454.
• Newark Airport (EWR): The easiest way from Newark Airport to Stony Brook University is to buy a combined
New Jersey Transit/AirTrain ticket to Pennsylvania Station (Penn Station) in New York City. The price of the
ticket is $13 (AirTrain included) and you can buy it and display on your iPhone or
Android phone with the MyTix app. You first take the AirTrain, which will take you to the Newark Airport Train Station,
then you will take the New Jersey Transit train. The train ride from Newark Airport
Train station to Pennsylvania Station takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
From Pennsylvania Station you can take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Stony Brook. Alternatively, shuttle service is available from Spartan Limousine,
How to get to the Wang Center from…
• Stony Brook Long Island Railroad (LIRR) station: You can take the free Stony Brook University Bus using the Outer Loop route (O, green signs). You can get off either at the Student Union or at the Administration Building/Hilton Garden Inn. The Wang Center is a short walk from both stops: SBU Transit Map & Schedule.
• Hilton Garden Inn: The Wang Center is a short walk from the Hilton Garden Inn: SBU Transit Map & Schedule.
Parking Garage: Located next to the Wang Center and the Administration Building.
cost: $2.00 per hour / max. $10 per day; Parking is free all day Saturday and Sunday
Disability Parking is Available.
Travel and Visa: Please contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area to obtain the latest information about visa requirements and applications. For more information, click on the following link: http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/en.html
Health and Insurance: Participants are requested to arrange their own insurance for health, travel and property.
Currency and Money Exchange: The unit of currency is the US dollar. Banks can exchange foreign currency and travelers’ checks with your passport as proof of identity. The most widely accepted credit cards are Visa, Mastercard and American Express. There are a number of ATM locations on campus. For more information, follow the link: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/fsa/services/banking/atm-locations.html
Electrical Supply: The voltage in Stony Brook is 110 volts AC, and the plugs are 2 vertical flat blades with grounding blade.