Students attending other colleges and universities frequently enroll in Summer Session classes as non-matriculated students. We recommend that you check with your academic advisor at your home campus about the applicability of the courses you select for your degree program. Need a syllabus for your home institution? Use our Classie Syllabus Explorer to download syllabi.
- Summer enrollment is very affordable; Stony Brook’s tuition is a fraction of the cost of private universities
- Take courses that fulfill your major requirements, including prerequisites for entry to health sciences and engineering fields
- Academic advising services available to help you select the best course(s) for your intended area of study
Steps to Enroll
Summer Session Application
(If you previously enrolled at Stony Brook, do not complete this application. Call
the Summer Session Office at
Graduates (who already have a bachelor's degree): Complete the Non-matriculated Graduate Student Application .
- Allow (3-5) business days for processing. You will be sent a Stony Brook ID Number and registration instructions.
- Register for courses in the SOLAR System. If you need help registering for courses in SOLAR, view a tutorial. Courses that have prerequisites require approval from the academic department , so you'll want to reach out quickly.
- Review our payment policies, procedures and deadlines. Included on your bill will be a $25 visiting student fee, due by the first day of the session.
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for more helpful information on registering for classes.