Students attending other colleges and universities frequently enroll in Summer Session classes as non-matriculated students. We recommend that you check with your academic advisor at your home campus about the applicability of the courses you select for your degree program. Need a syllabus for your home institution? Use our Classie Syllabus Explorer to download syllabi.
- Summer enrollment is very affordable; Stony Brook’s tuition is a fraction of the cost of private universities
- Take courses that fulfill your major requirements, including prerequisites for entry to health sciences and engineering fields
- Academic advising services available to help you select the best course(s) for your intended area of study
Steps to Enroll
Undergraduates: Complete the
Summer Session Application
(If you previously enrolled at Stony Brook, do not complete this application. Call
the Summer Session Office at
Graduates (who already have a bachelor's degree): Complete the Non-matriculated Graduate Student Application .
- Allow (3-5) business days for processing. You will be sent a Stony Brook ID Number and registration instructions.
- Register for courses in the SOLAR System. If you need help registering for courses in SOLAR, view a tutorial. Courses that have prerequisites require approval from the academic department, so you'll want to reach out quickly.
- Review our payment policies, procedures and deadlines. Included on your bill will be a $25 visiting student fee, due by the first day of the session.
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for more helpful information on registering for classes.