Returning Student Room Selection | 2021-2022 General Information
Bedrooms, suites and apartments will be utilized at designed occupancy for continuing students. If you select a double occupancy room, you should expect to have a roommate.
Prior to depositing and starting the application process, please make sure you have read the
Eligibility to Participate
- University account in good financial standing and $200 housing deposit paid by April 8 at 11:59pm
- Students living on campus in Spring 2021
- Students who were eligible for Fall 2020 through last year’s returning student room selection process and appropriately deferred housing until Summer 2021 or Fall 2021.
- Students who were newly admitted for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 and had initially applied for housing and properly notified us that they were cancelling or deferring until Summer 2021 or Fall 2021.
Important Undergraduate Agreement Updates
- As a result of the new housing model, returning students cannot select spaces in Keller, Greeley, Wagner, Benedict South (A/B), James, Langmuir, Ammann, Irving, O’Neill, with limited space available in Benedict North (D/E), Gray, and Stimson.
- All of Lauterbur Hall is reserved for Second Year Living Community (2YLC).
- Yang Hall will have a limited number of spaces available for continuing students and will mainly be used for first year and continuing Honors College students.
- If interest in 2YLC exceeds space availability in Lauterbur, the upper floors of Yang will be utilized for this community as well.
- No longer designating buildings as quiet living or substance free.
- See terms of occupancy for how a community can expand quiet hours if desired.
- First year areas will be designated substance free.
- Continuing students will be able to indicate interest in substance free communities as part of application. Campus Residences will use that information to determine if any continuing student areas will be designated substance free.
- Depending on occupancy levels and student interest, not all buildings on campus may be open. Students participating in room selection will be asked to rank their top three location preferences.
Important Graduate and Family Agreement Updates
- All Graduate and Family Agreements must pay a $200 deposit in SOLAR.
Graduate students now have a choice between 10-month and 12-month agreements.
- Graduate students must choose one by April 9th at 12 PM. After this deadline, the agreement choice cannot be changed.
- 10-month agreements are from August 1st to May 31st.
- 12-month agreements are from June 1st to May 31st.
- Buildings will be designated 10-month or 12-month, not both.
- Graduate students selecting 12-month agreements can indicate interest in returning to the same bed space if it’s designated 12-month and is not on hold or closed for any other reason.
- As a result of the change in graduate agreement lengths, sublets and short term agreements are no longer available.
- If a graduate student needs only short term summer housing, they can apply for summer housing in West Apartments.
- Graduate housing will be in Schomburg and Chapin with limited apartments in West I.
- All residents who select 12 month agreement for 2021-2022 with a room assignment in a different location than their Spring 2021 assignment must move as their space becomes ready (which is typically between May 15 - June 22). Your area office will contact you as your new space is ready.
2021-2022 Returning Student Housing Application Important Dates
March 15: Students can start paying $200 housing deposit in Solar
March 22: Returning Student Application and Gender Inclusive Housing Sign Up Available in the Housing Portal
April 8: Last day to pay a Housing Deposit
April 9 at Noon: Phase 1 of Housing Application must be completed to be eligible for Phase 2. Gender Inclusive Housing Sign-Up Deadline
Only those who complete the initial part of your application by April 9 at Noon will be able to participate in selection weeks. Anyone who misses the deadline and still needs housing will need to add themselves to the “Housing Waitlist” in the housing portal.
By April 19: Phase 2 Information sent to all who are eligible to participate
April 26-29: Room Selection Start times for eligible undergraduate residents that currently live on campus AND for all 12-month agreement applicants for family and graduate housing
12 Month Graduate and Family agreement holders must have a room must be selected by April 29 at 11:59pm in order to have housing. Any who misses the deadline and still needs housing will need to add themselves to the “Housing Waitlist” in the housing portal.
May 3-6: Room Selection Start times for eligible undergraduate students that currently
live off-campus AND for all 10-month agreement applicants for family and graduate
A room must be selected by May 6 at 11:59pm in order to have housing. Anyone who misses the deadline and still needs housing will need to add themselves to the “Housing Waitlist” in the housing portal.
July 12-15: Undergraduate Room Swap and Room Change
Continuing Student Room Selection 2021-2022 FAQs