Best Practices in Virtual Work
In the wake of COVID-19, domestic and international companies change how they get their work done and how they operate. The SBU Career Center works with hundreds or even thousands of companies and based on this experience our office gathered information on best practices in management of remote internships and other experiential learning opportunities.
Feel free to consider the following strategies to create or enhance your remote experiences to benefit your organization and SBU students. Remote internships are equally rewarding as an on-site internship for both employers and students.
- Setting up for success with clear internal communication and appoint people involved
- Create an Internship Program Plan to come up with an action plan
- Write a comprehensive position description outlining responsibilities, skills and competencies students will gain
- Use effective recruitment strategy to hire future talent by utilizing Handshake and the Career Center staff
- Coordinate a team based virtual orientation to engage not only future interns but also your team
- Implement a way to frequently communicate with your interns, provide continuous supervision and feedback