Mobile Communication Equipment Guidelines & Ordering Process
Mobile communication equipment may be required by some employees to facilitate the
valid business needs of campus departments in fulfilling the University's goals for
excellence in education, healthcare, and research. Under no circumstance should employees
of Stony Brook University, using Research Foundation or State funds, purchase telephone
equipment, supplies, or services at a local cellular service provider store or service
center. All requests for equipment, service or user name changes with any wireless
service provider must follow this policy.
To be eligible for consideration of a department-owned mobile communication device,
the employee must have a valid business need for required or essential business communication
- The need to be readily accessible
- The need to receive or initiate communication in emergency or time-sensitive situations
- Safety requirements while traveling on the road or to off-campus locations
- Frequent and regular travel, with a travel plan as part of job responsibilities
- Work locations in the field where access to electronic and telecommunication devices
is not readily available.
Employees must have the approval of the appropriate dean, vice president, or their
designee to receive a department-owned mobile communication device and related services.
This determination must be reviewed annually and revised when necessary.
- Employees are to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the below email template completed:
- Price Plans:
- Smartphones (Using the OGS Contract): UNL MINS&MSG 10GB SHR MHS $30.99 ($38.26 minus discount)
- New Tablets, iPads, Jetpacks (Using the NASPO Contract): MOBILE BROADBAND UNLIMITED $37.99
monthly access charge $.25 per minute after allowance
- iPhone 1264GB $0.00
- iPhone SE 2020 64GB $0.00
Sales Rep Name: John Petrakis
Sales ID number:EE04E
Company Name: Stonybrook University
Account Number: (Choose One)
0242048184-00001 forState/IFR Accounts;
0242048184-00008 for RF Accounts;
and 0242048184-00009 for SBF accounts – this is based on the cost center provided
SPOC/Contact Person: Brian Molina
Email address: email@example.com
SPOC’s contact number: 631-632-9813
Please ensure the end user name is in First Name Last Name Format preferably using
their Stony Brook E-Mail Name
End user Mobile number (for upgrades only): _____________________________________
End user's name:
End user’s Stony Brook ID#:
For new lines only
End user's name:
End user’s Stony Brook ID#:
Device Type (Make & Model, Color/ GB size): ____________________________________
Cost Center: _______________________________________
State/IFR Format is 8XXXXXXX,
RF Format is RF XXXXXXX-X-XXXXX
SBF Format is SBF XXXXXX
Wall Charger (Yes/No): _____
Basic Phone Case (Yes/No): _____
Company: Stony Brook University
Contact person: ________________________
Contact Phone number: __________________
Address/City/ State Zip/Attn to:
100 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11794
Attn: (Name and Department location)
Special Shipping Instructions- (if any):___________________________
- Once email template has been received and reviewed, zero-cost mobile communication
equipment and services will be placed with Verizon Wireless within 24 hours.
- Order confirmation with shipping/tracking information will be disseminated to end-user,
- Orders are shipped via FedEx or UPS, and must be signed for. End-user must follow
up with Central Receiving to ensure someone is available to sign for package.
- Personal use of the University’s mobile communication equipment and services is strictly
- All international and Non-US North American calling plans (Canada/Mexico) requests
must be made at least 2 weeks before departure to ensure the proper plan change is made and activated for all related
mobile communication devices by submitting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the appropriate Department head’s approval.
- Email must include the start date of the plan change.
- Upon your return, an email must be submitted to reactivate the domestic calling plan. Failure to comply, will result
in up to three (3) months of additional charges to the respective end-user and department.
- Reboot your mobile equipment when arriving to your destination (both on departure
and arrival), so that your calling plans can refresh to your location.
International calling plans provide unlimited talk and text, and only 2GB of data daily for $10. Once the 2GB allotted data has been exhausted, you will receive a text for an additional
2GB for an additional $10. It is highly encouraged to use WIFI when possible to reduce
Statements are available on Verizon’s MyBiz website (Verizon will provide training
upon request). The mobile communication device user’s supervisor or reporting administrator
should review each online statement monthly for:
- Accurate service charges and fees
- New/added equipment costs
- Appropriate business-related usage
- Unauthorized personal usage
- Any noted billing discrepancies should be brought to Verizon's attention by the end-user/campus
department. Credits and/or adjustments will be reflected in the subsequent monthly
- The State P-card cannot be used to pay for wireless service acquired through Verizon
- State/RF Accounts Payable will process the monthly consolidated bills for payment
from central accounts.
- State Accounting or Research Foundation Accounting offices will recharge the respective
State or IDC accounts for their individual charges.
- Reimbursement of wireless service fees under personal accounts is not allowed.