High School Linguistics
The Department of Linguistics is involved in a number of initiatives to introduce the field of Linguistics to high school students. The motivation for these initiatives will benefit both the high schools and their students, as well as the field of Linguistics itself. The appeal of Linguistics for American high school students includes the following:
- Linguistics offers a uniquely effective medium for STEM education.
- Linguistics offers tools to navigate a multilingual, multicultural world.
- Linguistics offers critical tools and knowledge for foreign language study.
- Linguistics offers a pathway to exciting new careers, such as speech pathology and language technology.
- Linguistics offers opportunities for high school-university collaboration.
Some reference documents on High School Linguistics:
- High School Linguistics: Information for Administrators and Teachers (17 pages)
- High School Linguistics: Information for Administrators and Teachers (2 pages/color)
- High School Linguistics: Information for Administrators and Teachers (2 pages/bw)
- The AP Linguistics Initiative (by R. Larson, K. Denham and A. Lobeck)
- High school linguistics: a secondary school elective course (by S. Loosen)