Web Services and Data Librarian
- Master's degree in Library Information Science/Studies from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience with web design and development.
- experience working with web authoring tools and content management systems.
- Graphical design ability, including knowledge of software such as Photoshop, Illustrator,
- Knowledge of current web accessibility standards and how these standards affect web
design and patron access, including responsive web design.
- Knowledge of technologies for data management and curation, and familiarity with tools
for archiving and sharing research data.
- Project management skills; experience working in a team environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of WordPress web content management system.
- Experience with Springshare's LibApps enterprise (LibGuides, LibAnswers, etc.).
- Understanding of the role and potential of the Web in the teaching, learning, and
research pursuits of a large university setting.
- Understanding of the information seeking behaviors in an academic research environment
and commitment to user-centered library services.
- Ability to write concisely and effectively for the web, and create effective documentation
for both IT and non-IT staff regarding technical processes and procedures.
- Strong interest in emerging technologies, library technology trends, general trends
in librarianship and higher education that affect library technology.
- Supervisory and training experience.
- Experience in an academic library setting.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources, and
world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association
of Research Libraries (ARL) with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member
of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The libraries are engaged
in an ambitious and dynamic strategic planning (2015-2018). The collection exceeds
2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal
subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU
Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric
Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Science Center Libraries,
and the SUNY Korea-SBU Campus. The University Libraries stand as the largest academic
research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide,
nationally and internationally. The libraries maintain memberships and affiliations
in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, Center for Research Libraries,
SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member), the Council on Library and Information
Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE,
Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC
Research Library Partnership, and ORCID through the National Libraries of Medicine.
The Libraries utilize Ex Libris' Aleph for its integrated library system and have
recently deployed EBSCO's Discovery Service, DSpace, Content DM, and Omeka, which
are used for managing digital assets and a growing Institutional Repository.
Stony Brook University Libraries seeks a creative and user-oriented colleague for
the position of Web Services and Data Librarian. Under direction of the Associate
Dean for Library Technology, Discovery and Digital Services, and as a member of the
Library Information Technology team, the Web Services and Data Librarian will be responsible
for the coordination, planning, development, maintenance, and evaluation of the Library's
web presence; and providing leadership in the planning, implementation, and assessment
of data curation services. This is a tenure track position and the incumbent is expected
to participate in research, publication, teaching, and service consonant with the
University standards for promotion and tenure. As a faculty librarian, the incumbent
takes an active role in liaison, reference, and instruction duties.
Lead the design and development of the University Libraries' web presence, including
coordinating workflows, set guidelines and ensure that the libraries' web presence
is accurate, up-to-date, user-centered, and accessible.
- Manage interface customizations and the integration of commercial and open source
library applications into the Libraries' virtual spaces, with an emphasis on usability
and user responsiveness.
- Assist with creating and administering library intranet and other web resources intended
for staff use; collaborate with library faculty and staff to develop and deliver research
and reference focused material for the web, improve user interfaces, test new delivery
platforms, and assist with technical issues.
- Explore, recommend and adopt standard and emerging tools, techniques, methods and
applications to deliver a robust and reliable online experience for all library users.
- Manage web content management systems, such as WordPress. Works collaboratively with
Library IT and other library departments to implement, develop and maintain web applications,
inter-connectivity, search functionality, and branding of the library website, catalog,
serials portal, link resolver, discovery service, institutional repository and local
- Participate in processes for usability testing, analytics analysis, and assessments
of the libraries' virtual spaces.
- As a member of the Scholarly Communication Team, serve as a point person for data
- Participate in the design and implementation of policies, workflows, and technical
processes for managing the life cycle of research data.
- Provide guidance and instruction on discovery, acquisition, and use of research data
in the public domain.
- Participate in liaison, reference, and outreach efforts to the University.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime
provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order,
is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide
his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time
as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation.
If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the
Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at
(518) 474-6988 or via email at
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Those interested in this position should submit a
State Employment Application
, cover letter and resume/CV by clicking Apply. Alternately, you may submit your
to the departmental email, address or fax below.
Please also fill out an online
Applicant Information Survey
. Do not submit this survey to the department. Priority will be given to applications
submitted prior to 2/17/19, but applications will be accepted until the position is
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is
located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre
campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than
13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and
a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes
34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges
and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island
region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory,
the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs
with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute.
Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New
York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors
that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park
in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts,
humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Official Job Title:
Senior Assistant Librarian
Stony Brook West Campus
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date:
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure
Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on
02/17/2019, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY/RESEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
WE ENCOURAGE ALL TO APPLY INCLUDING INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND PROTECTED VETERANS.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE
SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT,
A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350.
IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT
Faculty and Librarian