This page contains all you need to know to get ready for the Winter and Spring terms, including:
- Spring 2014 course listings and descriptions are available on this website and on SOLAR.
- Please be sure to check the Action Center in SOLAR to make sure there are no holds that will prevent you from enrolling.
- Non-matriculating students may enroll beginning on November 22.
- SPD is only offering one course for the Winter -
CEX 515 Managing in a Global Economy, an online core course for the MS in Human Resource Management program
- Winter course information for this course and for courses offered by other SBU schools is available on the Winter Session website.
- Students who have forgotten their SOLAR password can use the automated password retrieval feature. Go to the SOLAR
System log-in page, click the SOLAR log-in button, and then click the "SOLAR Password Help" link toward the bottom of the page.
- For more SOLAR tips and training, visit the DoIT Knowledge Database.
- Many SPD courses use SOLAR's waitlist process and students should know about it before they enroll.
- Students who need information regarding program requirements should contact an Academic
Advisor prior to enrollment.
Tuition and Billing Information
- Winter Session tuition bills are due on December 5. If you enroll after December 5, the bill is due the following day after enrollment.
- See the Winter Session website for complete details on billing.
- The Spring term begins on Jan. 27 for both on-campus and online courses. Students must enroll before this date to avoid a late registration fee.
- HEA Manhattan students should follow their cohort's schedule.
- The last day to add an online course is Jan. 31.
- Our Academic Calendar page links to the SPD and Registrar calendars and also displays our Google Calendar, which can be downloaded to your portable device.
- Online courses will be available in Blackboard on Jan. 17. If you are a new online student or if you have forgotten how to access Blackboard, visit our website for instructions. Better yet, attend our online learning orientation webinar.
- The Winter Session begins on January 7 and runs through January 25.
- See the Winter Session website for the academic calendar.
New Student Orientations and Library Webinars
New to SPD? Sign up for one of our orientation webinars and get the information you need to start off right.
- The Higher Education Administration program required orientation webinar will be held on Dec. 3. »Details
- The Human Resource Management orientation webinars will be held on Nov. 18, 20 and 21. »Details and Registration
- The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies orientation webinar will be held on Nov. 18 and 20. »Details and Registration
- The Educational Leadership Program and SDBL orientation webinar will held on Dec. 17. »Details and Registration
- The Advanced Graduate Certificate programs webinar will be held on Nov. 25. »Details and Registration
- The Online Learning Orientation, which provides an overview and advice for online learners, will be held on Jan. 21 and Jan. 23.
» Details and Registration
All SPD students—new and returning—are encouraged to participate in the following webinars hosted by the University librarians, but HEA students are required to register and participate.
Time to Start Using Your SBU Email Account
In an effort to improve the reliability of electronic communication, Stony Brook University is implementing a policy that will apply to all members of the community. Students, faculty, and staff will be responsible for receiving and reading official University communications at their primary campus email address (@stonybrook.edu) instead of any other address that they may have used in the past. Students may forward their Stony Brook mail to a personal email account that they read regularly.
» How to Access Google Mail