About Stony Brook University's Educational Leadership Programs
Stony Brook University offers two post-master's advanced graduate certificate programs that lead to certification in areas of school district, building and business leadership.
- The Educational Leadership (EDL) program prepares K-12 educators for advancement to positions at both the school district (SDL) and school building (SBL) levels. Such positions include superintendent of schools, district superintendent, assistant superintendent, principal, assistant principal, department chairperson, or athletic director. As of Fall 2007, this is the first program of its kind in New York State that serves as a pathway for certification at both the district and building levels.
- The post-master's certificate in School District Business Leadership (SDBL) program prepares professionals from the corporate world, public service agencies, and charitable institutions for access and advancement to positions in a school district central office, such as assistant superintendent for school business positions.
The programs are offered in collaboration with the University’s Professional Education Program and articulate with EdD programs from other universities in the region.
Stony Brook University Excellence
Stony Brook University is an NCATE-accredited institution. It is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in the nation and one of the top 40 public universities by U.S.News & World Report, which also ranked our online education programs #22 in the nation. The University
is fully accredited by the Middle States Association and its Educational Leadership Online program is approved by the New
York State Education Department for both in-person and online delivery.
To meet the demands of working professionals, the combined SDL and SBL program is offered completely online.
All but two of the School District Business Leadership courses are available online. The other two courses are offered on the Stony Brook University campus. All on-campus courses are scheduled in the evening.
» Learn more about online learning at the School of Professional Development.
- The Stony Brook University Librarians have curated a special Educational Leadership Library Guide for EDL students that includes information on searching SBU's 60,000 databases, formatting citations and how to receive live help.
Examination Preparation Assistance
- Phi Delta Kappa - PDK is the preeminent professional organization for K-12 educators; SBU's PDK Chapter offers several programs per year, including an annual event that highlights administrative job search strategies.
- School Leadership 2.0 - Social media site for administrators with comprehensive job listings. (requires paid membership for full access)
In the Spotlight
Educational Leadership faculty and students who are making news.
For program information contact:
Dr. Robert Moraghan
205 Harriman Hall
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3779
For application procedure questions contact:
N-241 Social & Behavioral Sciences
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4310