Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Application to the School of Professional Development
How can I submit an application?
All applications must be completed online. Please click the following link to get further instructions about required documents and to start an online application account.
Do I have to fill out the entire application in one sitting?
No, the online application is interactive. You can create an account, save your answers, and return to your application as often as you like. Until you click the Submit button, you can change what you have saved.
Can I update my profile and password once my application is submitted?
Yes. Log into your application account and click on the update profile tab located at the top of the page. Your name, email address, date of birth and password will pop up for editing. Once you have finished making your changes, click the update button at the bottom of the page.
What if I am having a technical problem with filling out my application online?
If you have any questions about the online interface system, please click the “Technical Support” link on the login page.  
What if I am applying to more than one program? Do I have to fill out two applications and pay two application fees?

It depends. If you are not currently matriculated and are applying to two separate programs, then yes, you will need to submit two applications. Each application will be directed to only one graduate program, and all supporting materials must be submitted.

If you are already in a matriculated program, you can add a secondary degree or certificate program by submitting the appropriate permission form.


What if I applied to Stony Brook in the past, submitted an application, and want to apply again?
If you applied to a matriculated program within the last twelve months, please contact the graduate program to which you applied. In certain instances, they may reconsider your application. If you're applying to a new program, please create a new account and submit a new application online.

If you have applied as a Non-Matriculated Graduate Student in the past and it has been more than three consecutive full terms without enrollment (ex. Fall, Spring, Fall) then you will need to reapply by creating a new account and submitting a new application online.

What are the deadlines for applying to the School of Professional Development?
Please see the Application Links page of the SPD website for Programs’ application deadlines. Please check with the Graduate Program Coordinator of the department to which you are applying to see if the program will accept applications after these dates.
What is the application fee?
A non-refundable application fee of $100 for matriculated programs, or $90 for non-matriculated student status will be charged for your application. Online applicants must pay by credit card. You will be given a prompt when submitting your application online to provide your credit card information.
How do I find out the status of my application? How do I find out if all my supporting documents have been received?

Log back into your online ApplyYourseky account to view the status of your application and supporting documents. Specific questions may be directed to the Graduate Program Coordinator of the program to which you are applying.  

For an overview of the process, please refer to our admissions timeline.

I have accepted the program's offer of admission, when should I expect my application to be processed and matriculated?

For an overview of the process, please refer to our admissions timeline.

International students, that are in need of immigration documents in order to be eligible to study at Stony Brook, will be processed as a priority.  Please keep in mind that incomplete processing packages and additional needed information, will extend this processing period.

Required Documents
What documents do I have to provide in addition to the online application?
All SPD applications (matriculated and non-matriculated) require an application, personal statement, application fee, and official transcripts showing the conferral of your undergraduate degree.  Additional items such as letters of recommendation, academic test scores, etc. may also be required.  Please check your program’s application requirements on the Program page of the SPD website.
Where do I send my additional required documents?

Letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically by your recommenders directly to your application using a link that will be provided to them upon your submitting their name and email within the application.  Any items not submitted electronically should be sent to the Graduate Program Coordinator for your program.  Mailing addresses for individual programs can be found at the program's website.

Electronic transcripts should be sent to directly from the issuing institution.

Electronic test scores should be sent to SUNY Center Stony Brook University Code 2548.

Non-Matriculated Graduate students should send their official transcripts to:

School of Professional Development (SPD)
GSP Admissions  
Rm. 2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4434

Is there a minimum grade point average (GPA) needed for admission?

Yes. Applicants to matriculated programs must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 point scale. If the student attends a college that only gives Passes or Credits for the first year of study, then these grades will be evaluated as C for GPA admission purposes unless the student provides actual grades.

Applicants seeking non-matriculated graduate student status should have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 point scale from their undergraduate career.
What constitutes an official, final transcript?
Official transcripts are valid when they are issued by the school you attended. They have an official seal/stamp and an official signature by an appropriate academic administrative officer. They are sealed by the university. Official electronic transcripts, sent by authorized delivery agents, are also accepted. Photocopied documents are NOT official. Final transcripts state that a degree has been conferred and provide the date of conferral.
Do I have to have my transcript translated if it is not in English?
Yes. Academic records from international universities that are not in English and based on a 4.0 scale must be accompanied by an official English translation. Academic records must be translated by an authoritative party.  We will accept translations from any of the accredited agencies, that can be viewed at or
My transcript only contains the marks that I received. Is this adequate to show I earned a degree?

No. If your official transcript (or mark sheet) does not specifically state that a degree (or its equivalent) has been conferred, you will also need to submit an official (attested) diploma or an official certification of degree(s) awarded.

What if the school I attended did not offer the equivalent of a 4-year US degree?

Educational systems that cannot be compared to the United States must be evaluated by a US credentials evaluation service before admission can be finalized.  We wil accept translations from any of the accredited agencis, that can be viewed at or

What if I haven’t received my degree yet, but will have earned it by the time I would like to start graduate school?
If you are in the process of completing a degree, please send an official transcript that shows your progress to this point. You will need to send a final, official transcript once your degree is conferred in order to be fully matriculated and eligible to enroll. Transcripts that do not show a degree awarded will not delay application processing, but failure to submit final documentation about conferral will result in a registration block.
What if I went to a college, but did not graduate? What if I just took classes there?
Applicants are only required to submit transcripts from any undergraduate institutions attended from which a degree was earned. Applicants, however, must submit all transcripts relating to any graduate level work undertaken, regardless of whether or not a degree was earned. Please note a department's graduate program admissions committee always reserves the right to request additional information.
Do I have to send original transcripts from my university? I come from an international school, and my school only issues one official copy of my transcript. Is it okay to send photocopies of my transcript and only submit the originals after I am accepted?
No. While many international schools only issue one diploma, it is not true that they will only issue one transcript (mark sheet, generally with the degree posted). Stony Brook University will not review any student applications without original transcripts from a student's university. This is a State University of New York mandate, and no exceptions can be made.
Do I need to send letters of recommendation if I am applying for Graduate Non-Matriculated (GSP)student status?
Can the person who is recommending me send a paper recommendation?
Yes, although electronic submission is the preferred method. From your online application account you can download a paper recommendation form and give it to your recommender. Paper recommendations must be sent directly to the graduate program you are applying to in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by the recommender.
Where do I find recommendation forms to give to my recommenders? I can’t find them on your website.
In order to gain access to our recommendation forms, you must start an online application account. Within your application, you can either send emails directing your recommenders to each submit a recommendation online, or you may download a paper recommendation form and give it to your recommender. Paper recommendations must be sent directly to the graduate program you are applying to in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by the recommender.
Test Scores

Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)

Is there a minimum GRE requirement?
The School of Professional Development does not have a minimum GRE requirement. You must contact the department to which you are applying to see if they have minimum GRE requirements for their admissions process.
Is the GRE required for admittance into all programs?

No. The GRE general test is required of the following applicants:

  • Master of Arts in Teaching:
    • English
    • Foreign Languages
      • French
      • German
      • Italian
      • Spainsh
    • Mathematics
    • Sciences
      • Biology
      • Chemistry
      • Earth Science
      • Physics
    • Social Studies
For the GRE, arrange to have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official GRE score reports to Stony Brook University (School code: 2548)
The GRE or other Entrance Examination Score Result is also required for admittance into the Post-Master’s Advanced Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership and School-District Business Leader programs as follows:

Entrance examination requirement:  include scores from one of the following examinations:  GRE (general exam results); GMAT, Miller's Analogies, or the Educating All Students (EAS) Test.  For the GRE, arrange to have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official GRE score reports to Stony Brook University (School code: 2420).  For the EAS Test, the school code is "SUNY at Stony Brook 800."  Official score reports for the Miller Analogies Test and GMAT may be mailed to “Graduate Program Coordinator – Educational Leadership, N241 Social & Behavioral Sciences Building, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-4310 (Include the last 4 digits).

I have taken the GRE and TOEFL tests as required. Could I send copies of my scores to Stony Brook and ask Educational Testing Services (ETS) to send my official scores later when I am admitted?

No. Please request that ETS send official score reports to Stony Brook University (School code: 2548) in order for your application to be reviewed.


Do I have to take the TOEFL?
If your native or primary language is not English, English proficiency must be established based on the results of your TOEFL or IELTS examinations.
What are the minimum scores required for admission?

IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no subsection recommended to be below 6


  • 85 for Masters level
What if I have my official examinee (personal) score report for my TOEFL or IELTS exam - can I just make a copy of it?
No, the School of Professional Development requires that students contact Educational Testing Services (ETS) and have them send official score reports directly to Stony Brook University. Our institution code is 2548.
When should I take the TOEFL?
Please schedule to take the exam in time for the School of Professional Development deadline for the semester to which you are applying. Be aware as well, that it takes time for ETS to send these scores to Stony Brook. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that he/she has taken the test and ordered the scores be sent to Stony Brook in time for admissions evaluation by the department. Any delay in the receipt of the TOEFL score will impede application evaluation and processing.
What if I took the TOEFL exam years ago?
The School of Professional Development will not accept any test scores that are more than 2 years old based on the application deadline date. For example, TOEFL exams taken prior to January 2012 will not be accepted for Fall 2014 applications due on or about January 15, 2014.
What is meant by “native and primary language”?
Native or primary speakers of English have been raised or educated in an English-speaking environment. Native or primary speakers may speak a language other than English at home but speak English exclusively outside the home in social and/or educational contexts.

Please note: Intentional misrepresentation by a student regarding his or her native/primary language is academic dishonesty and grounds for dismissal from the University.
Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid
What are the tuition and fees at Stony Brook? How can I apply for financial aid?
For all questions regarding tuition and fees, please refer to the Bursar/Student Accounts office:
For all questions regarding financial aid, please refer to Stony Brook’s Office of Financial Services website:
Taking Graduate Courses Outside of a Degree Program
Can I take a Graduate Course without entering a Degree Program?

If you have a baccalaureate degree and are interested in taking graduate courses at Stony Brook without working toward a degree, you may apply for admission as a non-matriculated graduate (GSP) student. The School of Professional Development represents the University's (West Campus) non-matriculated students.

The maximum number of graduate credits that one may earn as a non-matriculated graduate student (GSP) that may later be considered for any Stony Brook graduate degree is 12 For certificate programs, the maximum is 6.

Enrollment in a department's graduate courses does not entitle a GSP student to candidacy for a department's degrees. You must formally apply and be admitted to a degree and/or certificate program.

University Policies
Where can I find information regarding the University’s policies?
For information about the University’s policies, please refer to the following website: 
Where can I find out about the policies and procedures that apply to me as a graduate student in the School of Professional Development?
SPD Students should reference the Graduate Bulletin.   For general information about degree requirements, select DegreesPolicies & Regulations covers the policies all graduate students are required to know.  Programs & Courses provides details on majors and minors, as well as course descriptions.
Is Stony Brook a tobacco-free University?
Yes, effective January 1, 2016, Stony Brook will implement a tobacco-free policy.  This includes all tobacco and smoke/vapor-producing products.  For more information about this policy, please refer to the following website: 
Where can I find information about Housing?
For information about on-campus housing, please refer to the following website:

For information about off-campus housing, please refer to the following website: 
Contact Information

For further information about School of Professional Development Admission, please contact:



Login to Edit