February 6, 2012
I. Approval of Agenda: approved with the inclusion of Resolution on the Establishment of an Academic Calendar in the Senate President’s report.
II. Approval of minutes from December 5. 2011: approved.
III. State of the Senate (F. Walter)
- Dr. Walter read his first annual state of the senate address.
- The document was well received by the Senators. Will be posted on the Senate website.
- Dr. Edward Feldman read the resolution on the Establishment of an Academic Calendar. Friendly amendment: change title to include “role of shared governance in the”. All in favor of the friendly amendment. Motion was made to adopt the resolution with the friendly amendment: all in favor, none opposed, 1 abstention. Resolution passes.
IV. Provost’s Report (D. Assanis)
- Starting academic reviews on every unit. CAS and SPD will be the first.
- Dr. Lawrence Martin has been appointed Director of the Turkana Basin Institute, an initiative with vast potential to establish Stony Brook as a leading force in research in Africa. Dr. Charles Taber has agreed to serve as Interim Dean of the Graduate School.
- Initiating search for Library Director.
- New Student Convocation. Welcomed 750 new students to campus
- Faculty Awards: Drs. Benjamin Hsiao, Lorna Role, Peter Stephens, and George Sterman were named 2011 American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows.
- SBU 2012 BNL Seed Grant Program – deadline for submission is Friday, March 2 at 5 p.m.
V. Report from the East Campus (K. Kaushansky)
- The new Cancer Center Director and Dean of Research of the School of Medicine will both arrive March 1, 2012.
- Active searches underway for a Vice Dean for faculty affairs and Chair of Neurology. Had an external review of the Department of Neurology in preparation of the search for a new chair.
- Received permission to recruit an architectural firm to design the Medicine and Research Translation Building.
- World class imaging group: progress made in recruitment of seven new investigators from BNL to joint SB appointments. This is a major investment for the East and West campus.
- Active search is underway for a new hospital CEO.
- Getting ready for the Joint Commission accreditation visit sometime between now and June.
VI. Report from the Statewide Senate (G. Fouron)
- The theme of the meeting was “Effective Resource Alignment through Shared Services”. The goal was to further scrutinize the concept of Shared Services, both among and within the various campuses.
- Dr. Fouron touched on highlights of the meeting including: The President’s Report, SUNY Finance and Budget Report, Provost’s Office report, Report from Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, etc.
- Two resolutions were adopted.
- There is a call for presentations for “CIT 2012, The Power of Connections”, a conference that will be hosted by Stony Brook University between May 29 and June 1, 2012.
VII. UUP Report (A. Shertzer)
- Negotiations are still underway and continuing.
- 25 articles are still being worked on.
- Not willing to take any salary cuts.
VIII. New business: no new business.
IX. Old business: no old business.