University Environment Committee
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:00am
Administration Building - VP Conference Room 2nd Floor
10:00 am – 11:00 am
Attending: John Murray, Acting Chair; Paul Siegel, Vice-Chair; Nick Koridis, Recording Secretary: John Robinson, John Sparano, Kristine Seitz, Eric Lamberg, Gary Mar, Teri Tiso, and John Shandra, and Gilbert Hanson
Excused: Robert Aller, Anne Doherty, Darren Chase, Matt Aiello-Lammens, and Paula Di Pasquale-Alverez.
Staff: James O’Connor and Terence Harrigan
Meeting called to order:
Introductions – Agenda and sign-in sheet passed around. Jim O’Connor introduced his role on the campus to the committee.
Review of the Minutes – N/A
Leadership 2012 - 2013 – Organized leadership role as Chair for the meetings, John Murray accepted this role as Chair and Paul Siegel accepted to stay on as Vice Chair.
UEC Conversation on collaborative projects:
- Recharge Basin Discussion
- Ashley Schiff – Paul discussed Grant for funds. Discussed projects w/Environment Committee.
- A sustainability project in New Mexico, Student Support Project
- Little Acres Planting – knowledge of the project involvement
- North Entrance Meadow and Replanting
- Grasses native to the area similar to Nobel Hall. Uses and type of opportunities where available
- Bike Share details and new stations.
- Pedestrian and Bike Safety
- Signage and multi-cultural issues
- EarthStock Involvement
- Will survey good times to meet and work with the committee.
- Other Business
North Entry Planting
- Planting meadow a native northeast seed mix located at the North Entrance similar to the meadow planted in Southampton.
- Dorms Nobel hall needs are different in the terms of planting.
- Meadow requires little irrigation and limited maintenance.
- Future Toll Drive Residence Hall
- Funding building behind Wang Center Arch Design
- Infill Buildings to keep cost down and minimize student cost.
- In design stages: Funding TBD
- Asian group to speak to or respond with a website, article…
- Master plan – update. Possible website to be posted from slides.
- Fish Farm project update
- Mexico student from SBU.
- Passed around fish farm fact sheet
- Making bread volunteering collecting donations
- What would you like the committee to do to support as they will ask people who can assist.
- A subcommittee update for Ashley Schiff, working on newsletter and former student under Schiff.
- Date of next meeting…August September meeting…
Meeting adjourned 10:29a
The next meeting is scheduled in the VP Administration Conference Room on the second floor on Friday, date TBD