Master of Science in Human Resource Management
For admission to the MS in HRM, the following are required:
- Personal statement.
Please attach a personal statement of 750 – 1000 words that is a reflection of your ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research. Your statement should address the following:
- What is your purpose in pursuing this degree/certificate?
- How have you prepared yourself for this field of study?
- Specifically, how will this degree/certificate assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Describe your research and study interests and any other aspects of your background, skills, or qualifications that would aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your motivation for graduate study.
Your personal statement must be your own original work.
- An official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor's degree (minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average).
To ensure your application materials are complete and ready for processing, applicants
should order their degree-bearing transcript* to be sent upon submission of the electronic
*Applicants who have earned the required degree at Stony Brook University do not need to order/send transcripts as they can be accessed internally.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from teachers or professors with whom you have studied. Letters from professionals in fields of work related to the area of specialty you wish to pursue are also appropriate.
- In those cases where the departmental admissions committee deems it desirable, personal interviews with departmental representatives may be requested.
International Students/Language Requirements
There are additional requirements for international applicants or those for whom English is not their primary language. » Read details.
Under certain circumstances, promising candidates who lack the required academic preparation may be considered for conditional admission. » Read Conditional Admissions Policy
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and
employer. Stony Brook University is a 100% tobacco-free campus.
How to Apply
- Applications, letters of recommendation, personal statements, any other required materials and a nonrefundable $100 application fee are submitted online through Slate. Once you are in Slate, there are different HRM program options to select from: Traditional (taking courses both on-campus and online); fully online (taking online courses only) and employee cohorts. Be sure to pick the correct choice.
- Students who take any courses on campus will also be required to send Student Health Servicea completed immunization/meningitis form, which must be received before the first day of their first on-campus term. Visit Student Health Service website for more information.
- Transcripts should be sent electronically from your previous institution to the following address: email@example.com. (Read transcript submission instructions.)
Applications submitted by the deadline date will be granted priority review. Completed application packages received after this date will be accommodated as space permits.
If an applicant's package is missing materials and cannot be reviewed for the upcoming term, the application will be held for processing for the next admissions cycle.
School of Professional Development
2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794 - 4434
Tel. (631) 632-7050