Stony Brook University Career Center: The Career Center offers a wide variety of exciting events, workshops and programs for Stony Brook Postdocs. Check out their Calendar of Events for more details. Postdocs are also invited to visit the Career Center for help with writing and formatting your resume or CV. Walk-ins are welcome on Thursdays from 10 am-noon, or you can make an appointment by calling 632-6810.
New York Academy of Science's Science Alliance: As a member of the postdoctoral community at Stony Brook University, you are entitled to a discounted membership with Science Alliance, the career and professional development branch of the New York Academy of Sciences. To enroll, contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for the discount code and be sure to use your institutional e-mail address. Membership benefits include:
- Free or discounted registration to Discussion Groups in myriad scientific areas
- Free registration to Career and Professional Development events
- Free access to all live and archived webinars of the Academy
- Free access to a vast and growing library of over 300 Academy eBriefings which provide complete, multimedia reports of Academy meetings and conferences
- Free access to Annals Online, a database of thousands of downloadable scientific articles and reviews from the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
- Reduced registration to Academy conferences
- Reduced registration to Science & the City events
- The New York Academy of Sciences magazine (three times per year)
Be sure to sign up for the postdoc listserv to hear about periodic discounts on events and other activities. If you would like to attend an event with a group of friends, we can also arrange for a group discount. Contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Versatile PhD: Versatile PhD is a career resource for PhDs in social sciences, humanities, and science fields, which includes tips on job search documents for various PhD-level jobs as well as periodic online "panel" discussions with career professionals in a range of career sectors.
MyWorldAbroad.com: The Career Center manages a campus subscription to MyWorldAbroad.com, a vast resource of information on working and studying abroad. Make sure you enter via Stony Brook's portal, and use your campus e-mail.
IDP Toolkit: The Individual Development Plan (IDP) is a career planning tool whereby a trainee writes down his or her short- and long-term career goals and an actionable plan for meeting those goals. While required by the NIH for all supported trainees, the IDP is a useful tool for all early-career researchers to help maintain progress in your research and career and to hasten your transition to independence. The IDP can also be a useful mentoring tool, providing an opportunity to discuss career exploration and professional development opportunities with your mentor. You can consult Stony Brook's IDP Toolkit for information and templates for developing an IDP.
Planning Your Path to a Satisfying Career: This workshop series provides resouces to help postdocs and graduate students make a career plan (an IDP) with concrete steps for strengthening their skills and their professional credentials on the path to their next career step.