Applying to the Marine Conservation and Policy Program
Who should apply?
Students with a B.A. or B.S. in a natural science field, economics, mathematics or journalism are encouraged to apply. Students could be admitted with degrees in any field provided they have the qualifications listed below.
What are the qualifications for admission?
- Minimum 3.00 G.P.A in undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate coursework.
- One semester of college level biology, and three additional semester courses in college level math or science.
- The general Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is no longer required.
What is the deadline for applications?
To ensure full consideration for scholarships and fellowships, applications should be received byJanuary 15th. The final deadline for international applicants is March 1st and the final deadline for domestic students is April 10th.
How to Apply
1. Fill out the online application to the Stony Brook University Graduate School.
2. Prepare your personal statement. Tell us why you want to earn a Master of Arts in Marine Conservation and Policy at the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University. How would your time in our program help to get you from your previous experiences to where you hope to be in 5 years? Describe how any prior experiences (such as internships, advocacy, education [your own and/or teaching others], and research has prepared you for graduate school or your intended career path. Additionally, tell us about other life experiences that have prepared you for graduate work by building transferable skills (such as writing, project management, web design, social media, budgeting, work ethic, ability to work in a team, ability to work independently, etc.). Describe what about the field of Marine Conservation and Policy most interests you and what area in this broad field you would like to focus on during your graduate studies. Our program embraces and supports diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI); please describe if and how your experiences and goals are connected to DEI. Finally, tell us anything else you would like the Admissions Committee to know in evaluating your application. Aim to be concise; an effective personal statement is usually less than two pages. Please note that you will be prompted to upload your personal statement from the 'checklist' page that will appear after you have submitted your application (and paid the application fee) in Slate.
3. Identify three (3) people to provide letters of reference, and make sure they submit them when prompted by Apply Yourself.
4. Arrange to have one (1) official transcript mailed to*:
Educational Programs Office
Endeavour Hall, Room 107
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5000
*Please note that item 4 applies to all transcripts other than Stony Brook University transcripts. Transcripts from Stony Brook University do not need to be mailed.
Still have questions?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
For general or academic questions relating to the MCP program, send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions related to the application process, contact:
Education Programs Assistant
For other administrative questions (e.g., regarding registration or orientation) contact:
Education Programs Coordinator
- Ellen PikitchFaculty Director, Marine Conservation and Policy ProgramProfessor
Endowed Professorship of Ocean Conservation Science
- Kaitlin Willig GiglioAssistant Director, Marine Conservation and Policy Program
Endeavour Hall 213
- Christina FinkEducation Programs Assistant631-632-8680
107 Endeavour Hall
- Ginny ClancyEducational Programs Coordinator631-632-8681
105 Endeavour Hall