Skip Navigation



The Academic Judiciary Committee for the College of Arts and Sciences and the Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences consider students' complaints of arbitrary, capricious, malicious, or otherwise improper actions related to grading and other evaluations, assignments, examinations, other requirements for credit, and any other academic matters. While such grievances are most often brought by students against instructors, the committees consider grievances involving any member of the academic community on the West Campus. The committees, however, cannot intervene in matters covered by the procedures set forth in the Policies of the Board of Trustees, the Rules for the Maintenance of Public Order, or the collective bargaining agreements between New York State and the United University Professions (the faculty-staff union) or GSEU (the Graduate Student Employees Union). 

The committees consider only charges of clearly improper academic practices; they will not intervene in disagreements about an instructor's intellectual judgment. Grievances should be brought to a committee only after students or others have unsuccessfully pursued other avenues of redress, such as discussion with the instructor, the undergraduate program director, and department chairperson. Grievances should be put in writing, including all pertinent details, and should be submitted using the online reporting form found on the academic integrity website within one month of the alleged impropriety. Further information about academic grievance procedures may be obtained from the Division of Undergraduate Education (631-632-7080). For the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences' academic grievance procedures, contact the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Undergraduate Student Office (631-632-8381).

File Grievance