Online Summer Workshops for Teen Writers
The Young Artists and Writers Project (YAWP), created by Stony Brook Southampton's MFA in Writing and Literature program, is dedicated to mentoring young people in the development of creative expression and critical thinking through writing.
The YAWP Summer Workshops pair seasoned adult writers with students, ages 13-18, for workshops in fiction, personal narrative, poetry, playwriting and screenwriting.
This year, we are going virtual! All summer workshops will be held online using the video chat app ZOOM. 5-day Workshops for teens will be offered in both July and August.
Student work is eligible for publication in the YAWP EZine .
THE YAWP CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP
JULY 6-10, 2020, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
AUGUST 3-7, 2020, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
AUGUST 10-14, 2020, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m
Student writers explore fiction, poetry, personal narrative and dialogue. By week’s end, students have several pieces of completed work to submit or publish and participate in a reading of their work to be showcased online.
THE YAWP SCRIPTWRITING WORKSHOP
JULY 13-17, 2020, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Each student creates a short, two-character script for stage or screen. The final day is devoted to a rehearsed reading of students’ work to be showcased online.
Partial scholarships available. All Workshops conducted via Zoom.
The goals of YAWP include:
• To enhance critical thinking, collaboration and communications skills.
• To help each student find and develop his or her unique voice and point of view.
• To use creative expression as a way to solve problems and promote global awareness.
• To advance 21st century skills while supporting ELA requirements.
• To develop and support the next generation of writers, readers and artists.
For more information about our workshops, contact William Chandler at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (310) 614-1217.