Skip Navigation

Creative Writing Minor


admissionsThe creative writing minor welcomes all undergraduates. If you're interested in declaring a CWL minor, visit the undergraduate office, Humanities Building, room 1076.

Minors and non-minors alike are welcome to enroll in CWL 202 on a first-come, first-served basis. Registering for advanced writing workshops, however, requires that you have taken the prerequisite, CWL 202. If SOLAR is not recognizing your prerequisite, you'll need the permission of the program, obtained by emailing the director ( Include your SBU ID number, the course you'd like to take, which section of that course, and the name of your CWL 202 instructor, along with the semester in which you took it.

Transfer students may have introductory creative writing courses from other institutions evaluated as substitutes, also by emailing the director or visiting the office at HUM 1076. You'll need to provide a syllabus for the course you took.

Graduate Workshops

Admission to graduate workshops requires a writing sample.

For courses during the regular term, email the director. In the body of the email, include your SBU ID number, the course you'd like to take, and a statement of purpose, which should be a paragraph or so describing what you hope to accomplish in the workshop and what motivates you to apply. Attach a writing sample in that genre of 3-5 pages.

For courses during the summer term, apply to the Southampton Writers Conference. In your statement of purpose, mention that you are a creative writing minor at Stony Brook.