Undergraduate Bulletin

Fall 2022 Bulletin

Graduate Courses

Upper-division students with superior academic records may take graduate courses with the permission of the Dean of the Graduate School, or continuing education courses with permission of the Dean of the School of Professional Development, for undergraduate credit. (Teaching practica, readings, research, or other independent study are excluded.) Permission of the instructor and the chair of the department offering the course is also necessary. Permission forms are available online from the Graduate School ( http://www.grad.sunysb.edu ), the School of Professional Development, and various advising offices and must be presented, after the necessary signatures are obtained, at the Registrar’s Office when registering for the approved course.

Students should discuss their plans to take graduate courses with their advisors in order to assess whether the credit will be applicable to their degree requirements. Students with majors in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences who would like to apply graduate credits to their majors must get the approval of their department’s undergraduate program director; approval forms are available in the CEAS Undergraduate Student Office.

Graduate courses taken while a student is an undergraduate remain part of the undergraduate record. The student cannot subsequently receive graduate credit for such courses, except in the case of approved five-year programs leading to both a baccalaureate and a master’s degree.

Unless credits are earned as part of an accelerated degree program, no more than six graduate credits (including those taken through the School of Professional Development) may count toward the bachelor’s degree.