Undergraduate Bulletin

WorkingCopy 2022

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides crisis intervention, brief psychotherapy, psychiatric care, and group and couples therapy free of charge for Stony Brook students (including SPD students) who are enrolled in a degree-granting program and registered for at least six credit hours. Counseling services are available year-round. All information about counseling at CAPS is strictly confidential, except for that information needed in situations where there is an imminent threat or danger.

Students do not have to be confronting desperate or overwhelming difficulties in order to benefit from counseling. We encourage students to come in and discuss problems, even if they are not sure that counseling is what they need. For many students, dealing effectively with emotional and social issues increases their success with academic work. CAPS is a place that can help with many issues faced by students.

CAPS also has outreach programs to enhance personal growth and develop skills. The most popular workshops deal with stress management, meditation, and study skills. These programs are free for all Stony Brook students. In addition to workshops, CAPS sponsors a weekly radio program that focuses on health and mental health issues, "Taking Care of Yourself."

During the school year CAPS is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. During intersession, summer, and spring break CAPS is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. During these hours, students can call or just walk in to our main location and ask to speak to a counselor. After regular business hours, students can also call CAPS to speak with a licensed mental health counselor.

CAPS is located on the second floor of the Student Health Center, near the Stadium on the west campus. HSC students may schedule appointments in the new Health Sciences Center Counseling Center, located on Level 3 (the same level as the HSC Library). Call (631) 632-6720 for appointments and further information.

For mental health emergencies after hours and on weekends, students should call the University Police at 911 from on-campus extensions and (631) 632-3333 if calling from off campus or a cell phone, or go to the University Hospital Emergency Room. Anyone not experiencing an emergency but wanting to speak to someone after hours and on weekends can call CAPS (631-632-6720) and will be connected to an after-hours counselor.

Further information about counseling services can be found on the CAPS Web site at http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/caps/index.shtml