JPEG Image
MrSID Image(requires plug-in)


Chaussegros de Léry, Gaspard-Joseph

Anger, Sr.

Carte du Lac Champlain depuis le fort Chambly jusqu'au fort St. Frederick

Publication information:
Albany, N.Y.: Pease Lith., 1849

Lithographed facsimile, 40 x 49 cm.

1. Champlain, Lake--Maps
2. Richelieu River (Québec)--Maps
3, Land grants--Champlain, Lake, Region--Maps

1. Scale ca. 1:950,400

2. "Levée par le Sr. Anger arpenteur du Roy en 1732, fait à Quebec le 10 Octobre 1748, signé de Lery.






 Chaussegros de Léry, Gaspard-Joseph

Carte du Lac Champlain depuis le fort Chambly jusqu'au fort St. Frederick, 1748

This is a facsimile of a map that was originally created in 1748 by Chaussegros de Léry. This version, which was published in the Documentary History of the State of New York (1849), has a legend in both English and French, unlike the original, which has a legend in French only. The 1748 edition is a revision of a map first published in 1732.

Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Léry was a military engineer who was active in New France from 1716 until his death in 1756. He was engaged in constructing fortifications, as well as in civil engineering projects and map making.

This map gives a good overview of French activities in the Lake Champlain region on the eve of the French and Indian War. In addition to fortifications, the map conspicuously shows French land grants in the area. This is the only part of New York State that the French attempted to settle in the eighteenth century. Much like the English in the Hudson Valley, the French attempted to settle the area through a system of large land grants to aristocratic landholders, who were supposed to develop the land and attract additional settlers to their estates. These land grants existed almost entirely on paper: There were few potential settlers in New France, and the military threat from the British effectively discouraged people from moving into this area.


Heidenreich and Dahl, The French Mapping of North America, 1600-1760.

Guy Omeron Coolidge, The French Occupation of the Champlain Valley from 1609 to 1759.

Return to Table of Contents

Revised 6/02/03