Network, connect and learn at SBU Society of Professional Journalists' Chapter conference
The Stony Brook student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists will host a conference for students from noon to 4 pm Saturday, April 30, in Ballroom A of the Student Activities Center.
The conference will feature a keynote speaker, breakout rooms featuring panels of media professionals, networking and a Q&A. Lunch will be provided to those who register.
Chris Vacarro, vice president of digital at Altice USA, northeast coordinator of the Society of Professional Journalists, and former president of the Press Club of Long Island. The author of six books, Vacarro has written for the New York Times, Rolling Stone and ESPN. He is a former editor of the New York Daily News and AOL.
- Michael Lyle Jr., news anchor for WSHU public radio covering Connecticut news, anchor/reporter at New England Public Media, weekend and fill-in news anchor at WTIC News/Talk 1080
- Briana Panetta, associate producer at CNN, former producer for News12
- Nikita Ramos, New York Emmy Award-winning reporter, multimedia journalist and anchor at News12
- Frank Gargano, credit union reporter at American Banker
- David S. Joachim, senior editor at Bloomberg News, adjunct professor at Fordham University, former New York Times editor and reporter
- Sarah Baxter, SoCJ instructor, board member of the SoCJ Marie Colvin Center for International Reporting, former deputy editor of The Sunday Times of London
- Ian Thomas, editor at CNBC
- Keldy Ortiz, reporter and writer at Newsday, assistant adjunct professor at Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
The conference will include networking over lunch and an open Q&A session about the state of journalism and advice for young media professionals.
Read story on SBU News