International Travel Policy
Office of Global Affairs
Scroll down to access the electronic forms.
The Office of the Provost adopted the following policies and procedures in 2004 to
(i) comply with state, federal, and SUNY regulations applicable to international travel;
(ii) assist members of the university community traveling internationally on sanctioned
activities; and (iii) minimize potential complications related to the international
These policies and procedures were confirmed by the Office of the President in a memorandum
sent from this office to the University community on September 24, 2013. These guidelines
apply to all University personnel who travel internationally under University auspices.
- Faculty or staff who take students abroad must have the written approval of their
department chair, program director, or supervisor.
- Faculty or staff who take graduate students abroad as part of their education, training,
or field research; who advise graduate students to travel abroad, or who supervise
graduate students while abroad, must also obtain prior written approval from the appropriate
Graduate Program Director.
- Faculty or staff members who take students abroad shall insure that each student under
their supervision completes and submits the electronic forms in a timely fashion.
- University personnel who travel internationally on University business, are strongly
encouraged to obtain appropriate health insurance coverage and obtain prevailing medical
advice. At a minimum, faculty and staff are strongly advised to complete and submit
the electronic travel forms.
- All students traveling abroad under University sponsorship must complete the electronic
Based on your response to the below question, you will be routed to complete the appropriate
Is your travel supported by sponsored funding through the Research Foundation?
If 'Yes' this process will be redirected to the Office of Grants Management electronic