Home > Human Resource Services News and Events
Human Resource Services News and Events
Important Winter Reminders for West Campus and HSC State Employees
|To:||West Campus and HSC State Employees|
|From:||Lynn Johnson, Director, Human Resource Services|
|Date:||November 13th, 2006|
- Winter Holiday Reassignments:
- While the University Medical Center, Long Island State Veteranís Home, and Clinical outpatient facilities maintain normal operations during the upcoming holiday, some HSC and West Campus departments will elect to close from Wednesday, November 22, close of business, through Sunday, November 26. Some offices of the Medical Center and HSC may choose to close the Friday after Thanksgiving, November 24. Employees should check with their supervisor.
- For those employees who wish to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving (November 24) when offices may choose to be closed, Human Resource Services will work with the employing department to provide alternative locations/revised assignments. For further details, supervisors or employees should call Employment Services at (631) 632-1129.
- Year End:
- For the winter holidays many offices on West Campus will choose to operate with reduced staffing from Tuesday, December 26, through Friday, December 29, 2006. Please note that campus operations must continue with at least a skeleton crew throughout the period, except for official closings for Christmas Day, on Monday December 25, and New Yearís Day, on Monday, January 1. University Medical Center, Long Island State Veteranís Home, the Health Sciences Center, and other Medical Center and HSC outpatient facilities maintain normal operations during the winter holiday week.
- Charging Accruals during Holiday Weeks:
- Please note that those employees taking time off must secure approval from their supervisor and charge all absences (except the official holidays, November 23, December 25, and January 1) to the appropriate accruals.
- Please note that the day after Thanksgiving, November 24, 2006 is an official holiday for UUP.
- Snow Emergencies:
- In the case of snow or other weather emergencies, the best way to find out about University cancellations and other critical information is to access the University Emergency Management website and click on Emergency Communications.
- Information will also be furnished to the following media outlets: WUSB 90.1 FM, WALK 97.5 FM, WBLI 106.1 FM, WBAB 102.3 FM, WKJY 98.3 FM, WCBS 880 AM, WOR 710 AM, WINS 1010 AM, and News 12 Long Island.
- Because of delays in broadcasting weather emergency information, and the inability of media to provide comprehensive information specific to our employees, individual departments are urged to develop their own procedures for handling weather emergencies. These should include creating phone chains or having employees contact their supervisors for information.
- The (631) 632-SNOW or (631) 444-SNOW numbers are generally used to inform public vendors and other non-University personnel about the status of the University. Therefore, faculty, staff, and students should monitor the University web site, or broadcast media, to get the quickest, most up-to-date information.
- Please be aware that only Governor Pataki can order State offices and facilities to be closed. When classes are cancelled, University offices are still open and employees are expected to report to work. If individual employees choose not to report to work because of weather conditions, they must call in and charge their absence to appropriate accruals with supervisory approval.
- In the case of rapidly deteriorating weather conditions, which can occur during the work day, an employee who wishes to leave early must secure supervisory approval, and charge this time to appropriate accruals.
- Human Resource Services (HRS) Holiday Observance and Closing Information:
- Please note that HRS will be closed on the following dates as we celebrate the winter holidays:
- From 4:00 P.M., Wednesday, November 22, through Sunday, November 26, 2006
- From 4:00 P.M., Friday, December 22, through Monday, December 25, 2006
- From 4:00 P.M., Friday, December 29, through Monday, January 1, 2007
- Paycheck Distribution during the Holidays:
- Enroll in Direct Deposit today. Join your many colleagues who enjoy the convenience of Direct Deposit, especially at holiday time. Through Direct Deposit your paycheck is deposited electronically into the account of your choice. Avoid the nuisance of standing on long bank lines, especially during the upcoming holidays. The Direct Deposit enrollment/change form is available on our website at www.stonybrook.edu/hr, and click on the Direct Deposit display.
- Separate information is being sent to your department about paycheck distribution during the Thanksgiving holiday. Paycheck distribution remains the same during the year end holiday season.