Skip Navigation


Stony Brook's grading system is as follows: 

  • A (superior)
  • A-, B+, B (good)
  • B-, C+, C (satisfactory)
  • C-, D+, D (minimum passing, undergraduate courses only)
  • F (Failure)
  • I (Incomplete, a temporary grade indicating that the work of the course has not been completed because of circumstances beyond your control).
  • NC (no credit)
  • NR (no record)
  • P (pass)
  • Q (academic dishonesty)
  • S (satisfactory)
  • U (unsatisfactory)
  • W (withdraw)

Graded/Pass/No Credit Option (GPNC)
Visiting undergraduate students should obtain the approval of the institution they attend during the academic year before registering for a course as GPNC. Some institutions have restrictions on the grading of GPNC courses. Stony Brook students should refer to the policy on GPNC in the Undergraduate Bulletin.

If an instructor agrees to assign an Incomplete in a course, the instructor will determine the date by which you must complete the work. However, the date may not be later than nine weeks into the following semester, otherwise the grade of I will automatically be changed to I/F and calculated as a failing grade.

No Record
Grades of No Record (NR) which have not been replaced by a final grade or by a W by the end of the ninth week of the spring semester (for Fall and winter NR grades) will be converted to one of the following grades:

  • N/F for letter-graded courses
  • N/U for courses graded A-C/U or S/U
  • N/C for courses taken under the Graded/Pass/No Credit option

The grade of N/F will be treated as a failure for the purpose of academic standing and will be averaged as an F when the student's grade point average is computed. 

Grade Reports
You may now access your grades on the SOLAR System.

To have an official academic transcript sent to another institution submit a request through your SOLAR System Account. The University will not issue a transcript if you have any outstanding charges.

Stony Brook Students
Before enrolling in winter courses at other institutions, be sure to obtain prior approval from Stony Brook to ensure that the credits will be transferable to Stony Brook. Permission forms are available from the Academic & Transfer Advising Services Office, E-2360 Melville Library.

Check with your department about transferring credits in your major. Check with the Academic & Transfer Advising Services Office concerning transferring courses to meet DEC and/or SBC requirements. Certain limitations apply.

Visiting Winter Students 
If you attend another institution during the academic year have your Stony Brook course selections approved for transfer credit by that institution, even if it is another SUNY school.

Stony Brook academic regulations and student responsibilities apply to visiting Winter Session students as well as to those who attend Stony Brook during the academic year.

The University reserves the right to change academic regulations or to cancel any course for whatever reason it may deem appropriate. Detailed information on courses of study, academic regulations, and student responsibilities is available in the current Undergraduate Bulletin, the SPD Bulletin, the HSC Bulletin, and the Graduate Bulletin, and their associated supplements and updates. The University bulletins also contain complete information regarding student educational records, financial aid, university attendance policy, academic honesty, and other topics.

Students themselves - whether new, visiting, returning, or continuing - are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and abiding by the University's regulations, procedures, requirements, and deadlines as described in all official publications. These include the Undergraduate Bulletin (and supplements), SPD Bulletin, HSC Bulletin, Graduate Bulletin, and Fall and Spring Class Schedules. It is the student's responsibility to maintain a current address on record with the Registrar's Office at all times.

Although this website was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time, all information (including the calendar, course offerings, and statements on tuition and fees) is subject to change without notice or obligation. All information in this publication supersedes information previously published in Winter Session information.