- Bring together a rotating set of global climate experts from the education and private sectors with policymakers and others to create a hub for cutting-edge research, creativity and leadership.
- Integrate the built environment with the island’s natural resources, working with other occupants to leverage the island as a cohesive approach to climate change, and showcasing it by hosting conferences, competitions and exhibitions.
- Encourage entrepreneurship and creativity through an “ecosystem” that includes climate focused venture capital firms and other sources of seed funding and financing; provide incubation and co-working space for startups and established solutions-based organizations.
- Share solutions and best practices for academics and businesses, establish educational programming for students, provide visits for New York City schoolchildren, host college and adult learners for residency programs.
- Integrate technology and community programs by attracting an interdisciplinary set of experts; use Governors Island as a living laboratory.
- Support workforce and economic development locally by working with the school system and workforce development organizations; use Governors Island as a launchpad for the establishment of green businesses; encourage emerging businesses to remain in the region.