Skip Navigation

Federal and State Tax Information:

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. federal agency in charge of taxes. All scholars and dependents in J-1 status are required to file Federal Tax Returns with the IRS each year, even if they have not earned any income.  State tax documents may also need to be filed.  Some scholars qualify for a tax treaty exception but must file to claim the tax treaty exemption. It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations. Federal/State Tax Returns are based on earnings from the previous calendar year.

Filing forms with detailed instructions are available at most banks or the post office.  Due to the complexity of income tax laws, it is advisable to have questions answered by the IRS or a reliable tax consultant.

Important: Visa and Immigration Services staff cannot answer detailed questions pertaining to your Income Tax Return, nor has the material presented on this page been approved by the IRS or U.S. Treasury, and therefore we strongly recommend you consult the IRS or a reliable tax consultant directly.

Helpful Resources:


Federal Tax Forms & Additional Resources:

Login to Edit