Skip Navigation

J-2 Dependent Resources

Bringing your spouse or children ("dependents") to the U.S. as a J-2 on a short term basis or for the entire length of your stay requires careful planning and preparation. Stony Brook is an exciting place to live and there are many resources available to help your family feel at home.  Below is list of benefits and other resources available to your J-2 dependent while they are in the U.S.

If you are a prospective international student/scholar and have questions about bringing your dependents to the United States, please speak to one of our Faculty & Scholar Advisors.  If you are a current international student/scholar and wish to request a DS-2019 for a dependent, you may do so by submitting the J-2 Dependent Spouse/Child request form in accessVIS.

For additional information on inviting dependents to the U.S. click here.


J-2 dependents may be part-time or full-time students. If your J-2 spouse is offered a graduate assistantship/stipend, they may remain in J-2 status and work as a graduate assistant if they have proper work permission or apply for a change of status to F-1.  If your J-2 child wishes to remain in the United States to pursue an education beyond the age of 21 they must change their status to F-1.


J-2 dependents may apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)  for permission to accept employment as long the income from the employment is not used to the support the J-1. 

  1. Application Fee: A money order or certified check for the amount of $410, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  2. Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization [item #16, the eligibility category for J-2 dependents should be noted as (c)(5)( )];
  3. Form G-1145: Download from, include your full name, email address and telephone number.  This optional form tells USCIS that you’d like to be notified upon receipt of your application.
  4. Letter of Request: Written by the J-2 stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support for the principal participant, and specifically stating that the income derived from employment will not be used for the support of the J-1 exchange visitor. A J-2 does not need to demonstrate financial need to receive employment authorization.
  5. Passport Style Photos:  Two identical passport style photographs, issued within the last 30 days, are required.  See Department of State’s guidelines;
  6. Photocopy of J-1's DS-2019;
  7. Copy of J-1's I-94 (print from the I-94 Admission Number Retrieval);
  8. Photocopy of J-2's DS-2019;
  9. Copy of J-2's I-94 (print from the I-94 Admission Number Retrieval);
  10. Photocopy of previously issued Employment Authorization Document (EAD), if applicable.

Mail the application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility with jurisdiction over the J-2’s place of residence.

NOTE: USCIS may take 3-4 months to process your dependent's employment authorization request.  While pending, your dependent cannot work (paid or unpaid) until he/she has received the EAD.


J-2 dependents with a valid EAD are authorized to work in the U.S. and therefore eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  Eligibility for an SSN is based on the offer of paid employment, and regulations require you to provide valid employment offer letter and authorization from USCIS to apply for a SSN. You must apply for an SSN in person at a local Social Security office. Provide originals and copies of the following documents to verify your age, identity, immigration status, and employment eligibility:
  • A completed Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card;
  • At least two documents that establish the your age and identity including a passport and one additional document establishing identity;
  • Form I-94 (or CBP I-94 record printout if admitted with an electronic I-94);
  • Form DS-2019; and
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card)
  • Offer of Employment Letter
Click here for more information on applying for an SSN.


Child care is available for your child on the Stony Brook University campus.  The Stony Brook Child Care Center is nationally accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs, which means it has voluntarily undergone a comprehensive process of internal self-study and invited external review to verify compliance with the academy's criteria for high-quality early childhood programs.

Please note, there are several factors that determine a family's tuition rate. Family income, family situation and funds available are all taken into account to calculate tuition.  Each situation is highly individualized based on the funding available at the time of enrollment.

For more information visit or call (631)632-6930


If your J-2 spouse is looking for improve his/her English, the Emma Clark Library in Setauket offers an ESOL Conversation Group on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m.

For more information, email or call the Adult Reference Desk at (631) 941-4080 ext. 127.


The International Spouse Program (ISP) is a support group and social network for the wives, husbands, and domestic partners of Stony Brook graduate students. Run by volunteers, ISP offers non-students an opportunity to socialize with one another through organized activities that will benefit their transition to the Stony Brook community. Weekly meetings are held on Mondays at 2:30 p.m. in the Chapin Community Center.

For more information contact: Veronica at or find them on Facebook.

Login to Edit