Skip Navigation

Immigration Intake & Check-In

The Immigration Intake is a federally mandated process that requires every international student to report to Visa and Immigration Services (VIS) and have their immigration documents reviewed. The intake should be completed as soon as possible after arrival to the United States.

Please note the immigration intake and check-in process is completed electronically through accessVIS.

STEP 1: International student orientation

All new F-1 International Students must complete an online orientation. The orientation is available in accessVIS and includes a brief video outlining your responsibilities as an F-1 student. After viewing the orientation, you must submit the F-1 Immigration Orientation form. The orientation can be completed prior to your arrival in the U.S.

step 2: Complete Your Immigration Intake (REQUIRED)

Students officially report their arrival to Stony Brook by submitting the Immigration Intake form in accessVIS. Do not submit the e-form until AFTER you have arrived in the United States. Submission of the e-form is required for VIS to validate your student immigration status.

You will need to have copies of the following documents available to complete the Immigration Intake in accessVIS. Scan or caption images of your documents using your phone, or for free at Melville Library SINC (Main Library, Room S-1460). For assistance with completing the intake, please come to Visa and Immigration Services, during normal office hours - we are located on the 5th floor of the Melville Library, room E-5310. Files must be in PDF format, and no larger than 100MB.

  • Form I-20 / DS-2019

  • Passport (Picture/Information Page)

  • US F-1 or J-1 visa (except for citizens of Canada and Bermuda)

  • Admission Stamp (in passport)

  • Electronic I-94 Admission Record or I-94 Arrival/Departure Card (front and back)

  • Previous Forms I-20/DS-2019 (if transferring from another US institution). 

  • Your dependent's documents (if you have a spouse or children here with you as F-2 or J-2 dependents)


Update your US address in SOLAR. For detailed instructions, go to the Update Your Local US Address page. If you fail to update your US address, you are at risk of losing your lawful status in the US. Even if you are staying in a hotel, enter that address, then update your address again once you move to your new apartment or residence hall.

For guidance on formatting your address correctly, please visit our website