Skip Navigation

B-1 & Visa Waiver for Business (WB)

These nonimmigrant visa categories allow short-term visitors to come to the United States to conduct business, present a lecture, and attend conferences, seminars and other business meetings. Detailed information can be found on the Department of State's Visitor Visa webpage.

These visa classes DO NOT allow employment, but allow honoraria and per diem payments to be made, provided that the visitor's stay at the university is no longer than 9 days and the visitor has not accepted reimbursements from more than five other institutions in the United States during the preceding 6-month period.

As of April 12, 2002, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) prohibits those in B-1 or B-2 status from enrolling in a course of study. Such enrollment will constitute a violation of status and could risk eligibility for future benefits or statuses.

Length of Stay in the U.S.
  • B-1/B-2 visitors are generally admitted for six months or less, but may not exceed one year. The period of stay is determined by the U.S port of entry official at the airport.
  • Citizens or nationals of participating countries may travel to the U.S. for business purposes for 90 days or less without a visa as long as they have valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel.

Additional Resources