Intake & Orientation
Every Wednesday (by appointment)
Time: 2:00 - 4:00p.m.
Location: Visa and Immigration Services (VIS), E5310 Melville Library
All new J-1 scholars are required to attend J-1 Orientation. We ask that all new scholars submit the J-1 Orientation Sign-Up form in accessVIS to schedule your orientation date. In addition to the Sign-Up form, all new J-1 scholars are required to complete the electronic Immigration Intake form in accessVIS .
Please follow the instructions below to submit the J-1 Orientation Sign-Up and Immigration Intake before reporting for orientation.
- Click here, or enter https://vis.stonybrook.edu in your browser.
- Click the "Limited Services" link on the accessVIS homepage.
- Enter your Stony Brook ID#, date of birth and Limited Access Pin. ( E-mail me my Limited Access PIN)
- Expand the Intake & Check-In window (located on left menu bar).
- Select Immigration Intake.
- Submit the J-1 Orientation Sign-Up & Responsibilities form;
- Submit the Immigration Intake.
- Submit the Dependent Intake (if applicable, for each dependent).
VIS must confirm your arrival with Immigration within 30 days of the start date of your DS-2019 Form in order for you to remain legally in the United States. Attendance at the J-1 Scholar Orientation is required in order for VIS to validate your arrival. If you are unable to attend an orientation within 30 days of arrival, please contact your International Faculty/Scholar Advisor.
Documents to Bring With You to Orientation:
- Visa Stamp
- Form DS-2019
- I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
* Bring the same documents for each J-2 dependent
Topics Covered in the Orientation
- Regulations governing J-1 visa status
- Social Security numbers
- Health insurance
Note: If you intend to travel outside of the United States after your arrival, you must obtain a travel signature from your International Faculty/Scholar Advisor on your DS-2019 in order to re-enter the U.S.