Skip Navigation

Inviting Friends & Relatives to the United States

  • Overview

    Many students would like to invite friends or family for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 tourist visa is a good choice for visits of less than six months duration, or for family members who do not qualify for F-2 or J-2 dependent status.

    This is not a comprehensive list of all documents required for the B-2 visa. Please contact the Embassy or Consulate where your family or friends will be applying for their B-2 visa to find the comprehensive list of documentation that is required to apply.

  • Commencement


    International Students
    Domestic Students


  • The Application Process

    Required Documents

    Provide a letter of invitation
    Proof of enrollment

     The Application Process

    Step 1: Send your documents to your visitor(s)
    Step 2: Prepare your visitor(s) for any potential questions


  • B-2 Denials

    What if My Visitor's B-2 Visa is Denied?

    If the visa is denied, your visitor should ask politely to be given the reason for the denial in writing.  A second application may be accepted by the consulate if new documentation is produced addressing the reason for the denial.  

    The most common reason for a visa denial is intent to immigrate (failure to return to your home country). It is very important for your visitor(s) to be able to show evidence of close ties to their home country.

    If the consulate requires that the tourist application be accompanied by an Affidavit of Support, you will need to fill out a Form I-134 on behalf of your visitor.

  • Additional Information

    Additional Information

    • Visitors in B-2 tourist status generally cannot change nonimmigrant status in the United States.  
    • B-2 tourists cannot enroll in classes at Stony Brook University. Those who wish to pursue an activity other than tourism should secure the appropriate visa to enter the U.S before they arrive.
    • In some instances, an extension of stay may be granted by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Applications for extension of stay are made using Form I-539. Click here for Forms I-539 and I-134.

      IMPORTANT: The information listed above information in only a general guide for Stony Brook University students. We strongly encourage you to refer to the Department of State's website for official information on obtaining a visitor's visa and other consular services.