Skip Navigation

Transfer-Out Students

Students who wish to leave Stony Brook University to attend another U.S. college, university or language program are considered "transfers" - this refers to the transfer of your SEVIS record from one institution to another.

  • Although you may be applying to multiple new schools, Stony Brook University may only transfer you SEVIS record once.
  • If you decide to cancel your transfer, you must notify Stony Brook VIS before your transfer release date; once the transfer release date has been reached, Stony Brook University will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.
  • Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, you are ineligible for on-campus employment at SBU.
  • OPT or CPT authorized under your Stony Brook Form I-20 is cancelled the day your SEVIS record is released to another school.
  • If you plan to travel outside the US after SEVIS record has been released to a new school, you must reenter the US with the Form I-20 issued by that school. Please consult with your new school regarding travel and reentry.


  • You are eligible to transfer if you have been maintaining lawful F-1/ J-1 status throughout your program of study.
  • If you are out of status at Stony Brook, you must depart the U.S. and re-enter on your new institution's I-20 /DS-2019 or speak with your new institution’s International Services office about your options for reinstatement.
  • J-1 students are only eligible to transfer to programs where they can continue in their original program objective.

Transfer Timeline:

  • J-1 students must complete the transfer process before the end of their current program.  Graduating F-1 students beginning a new program of study must transfer their SEVIS record within the 60 day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program should request the transfer before the last day of the semester. Please complete the Transfer Out Request in AccessVIS.
  • You must begin your study at the new school in the next available academic term, and no later than 5 months after program completion, whichever is earlier.


Transfer-Out Procedure:

Step 1: Complete the Transfer Out Request in accessVIS.  Our office must transfer your SEVIS record to the new school before your new Form I-20 / DS-2019 can be issued.

Step 2: Upload the following items to accessVIS when prompted:

  • Acceptance Letter issued by the U.S. school or institution you wish to transfer to.
  • A receipt from Student Accounts showing all outstanding balances have been paid. Need help finding your Paperless Billing Statement? Click here!
  • ‘Transfer In’ form from new school/program (if applicable).

Important: Students who leave the U.S. between transfers must show the SEVIS Form I-20/DS-2019 of the school for which they will be enrolled when arriving at the port-of-entry.

Login to Edit