Skip Navigation

Part-Time Enrollment

U.S. F-1 regulations require international students to enroll and complete a full course of study each fall and spring semester. For undergraduate students full-time is defined as 12 credit hours each semester. For graduate students on G1 or G3 level, full-time is defined as 12 credit hours; G2, G4, and G5 level full-time is defined as 9 credit hours. If you are at the G5 level and are considering requesting authorization for part-time enrollment, please see your Visa and Immigration Advisor.


  • You may be eligible to register part-time if it is your last semester and you need fewer credits to complete your program.  If part-time enrollment is authorized for this reason, you MUST graduate at the end of that particular term - failure to do so could jeopardize your F-1 status.

  • Part-Time Enrollment requests must be submitted by the first day of the semester (except for medical reasons)

  • If a medical reason causes you to withdraw from some or all of your classes, please discuss this first with your International Student Adviser.

Part-time registration without VIS approval is a violation of your F-1 status and will be reported in SEVIS accordingly.

Applying for Part-Time Enrollment Authorization:

  1. Login to accessVIS through Full Services, using your netID and password.

  2. Complete and submit the Part-Time Enrollment request form.

  3. Undergraduate students requesting part-time enrollment must upload the Academic Progress Review Form completed by their general academic and major advisor(s).

  4. Allow 10 business days for processing - If approved, a new I-20 will be issued and you will be contacted via email.

Login to Edit