To maintain your F-1 or J-1 status, you must enroll and complete a full course of study each fall and spring semester, as these are considered “required terms”. It is also important that you are making normal progress towards completion your degree. For further academic requirements, please refer to the University Bulletin or check with your academic department.
- F-1 students may take one online course (up to 3 credits) per semester which will count toward your full course of study requirement.
- Earning a “NR”, which stands for no record of attendance, or “W” which indicates withdrawal from a course, do not count toward full-time enrollment. Earning either of these grades may jeopardize your F-1 status and could result in the termination of your SEVIS record.
- If you are unable to maintain full-time enrollment due to medical or academic difficulties, please see your VIS Advisor immediately. Authorization from VIS is required in order for you to drop below full-time.
- Part-time enrollment, or a reduced course load, may be authorized by VIS if you are in your last semester and taking the necessary number of credits needed to complete all degree requirements.
- Must register for at least 12 credits during each required term (i.e. fall / spring)
- G1: 1st yr. Master's (< 24 completed credits), must register for 12 credits/semester
- G2: Advanced Master's ( > 24 completed credits), must register for 9 credits/semester
- G3: 1st yr. PhD (< 24 completed credits), must register for 12 credits/semester
- G4: Advanced PhD ( > 24 completed credits), must register for 9 credits/semester
- G5: PhD Advanced to Candidacy, must register for 9 credits/semester
- Must register for at least 12 credits during each required term.