Federal and State Tax Returns
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. federal agency in charge of taxes.
All students and dependents in F-1 or J-1 status are required to file Federal Tax
Returns with the IRS each year, even if they have not earned any income. It is your
individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations. Federal/State
Tax Returns are based on earnings from the previous calendar year.
Filing forms with detailed instructions are available at most banks or the post office. Due to the complexity of income tax laws, it is advisable to have questions answered by the IRS or a reliable tax consultant. The Graduate Student Organization (GSO) hosts an annual Tax Clinic in which tax advice is provided by a professional accountant for graduate students and postdocs. Tax preparation services can also be arranged privately with the accountant for a fee. Visit the GSO website for times and locations.
Federal Tax Forms & Other Resources:
- Form 1040NR + Instructions for 1040NR
- 1040NR-EZ + Instructions for 1040NR-EZ
- 1040 + Instructions for 1040 + Forms and Schedules for Form 1040
- Form 8843
- Departing Aliens and the Sailing Permit
- NYS/NYC Residency Definitions
- Do I need to file a NYS and/or NYC tax form?
- State Tax Forms
- IRS: Foreign Students & Scholars
- 10 Common Tax Return Errors Foreign National Should Avoid
- Taxation of Nonresident Aliens
- Which Form to File
- NAFSA Brochure
- Graduate Student Organization's Tax Clinic
- IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting Form
NOTE: Visa and Immigration Services staff cannot answer detailed questions pertaining to
your Income Tax Return, nor has the material presented on this page been approved
by the IRS or U.S. Treasury, and therefore we strongly recommend you consult the IRS or a reliable tax consultant directly.
If you need guidance through the tax preparation process, Sprintax is an easy-to- use tax preparation tool. Important: Sprintax is tax resource and not affiliated with Stony Brook University.
- Register and follow the simple instructions
- Complete the online questionnaire
- Enter the unique discount code STBU2017F5 in the box on the ‘Review your order’ page
- Sprintax will prepare your tax return.
Please click here to view the Sprintax Tax Workshop Presentation
IMPORTANT: Sprintax is a tax resource and not affiliated with Stony Brook University. Visa and Immigration Services is not qualified to assist in the preparation and submission of tax filings, but we are happy to provide this information in hopes of assisting with your filing.