Skip Navigation


Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit.  As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status you are eligible for on-campus employment and approved off-campus employment, known as “practical training”.

On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus employment for F-1 students does not require written approval if you are maintaining lawful F-1 status.  
  • J-1 Students must meet with a International Student Advisor prior to accepting employment.
  • Your on campus job does not need to be related to your field of study.
  • You cannot exceed more than 20 hours of employment per week during the fall and spring semesters.

NOTE: Intensive English Center students are not eligible for on or off campus employment.

Off-Campus Employment:

Off-campus employment requires approval from either an International Student Advisor or USCIS prior to employment.  Do not work until you have received permission in the form of an I-20 or Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

Anyone wishing to work on or off campus must have a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to begin employment. The purpose of an SSN is to help the government keep track of an individual's earnings in the U.S. for tax purposes. Click here for information on obtaining a Social Security Number.
Login to Edit