Skip Navigation

Resources for U.S. Employers

The purpose of this site is to provide U.S. Employers with resources to ease hiring of, and ensure immigration compliance, for international students from Stony Brook University for internships or post graduate work.

The precedent for international students to obtain temporary U.S. work authorization is longstanding and well-established, and the application process is straightforward. Obtaining permission for F-1 and J-1 international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult (or costly) as many employers think! Most students are eligible to accept employment under Practical Training (Academic, Curricular, Optional) and H-1B Temporary Worker status. Visa and Immigration Services (VIS) works with students to facilitate employment authorization, which is ultimately issued by VIS or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Below are three resources; the Employment Bases Statuses Guide for Employers is a quick reference guide which describes the difference between, and process for applying for the varying employment based immigration status, as well as answers to frequently asked questions to help guide employers through the process. The second document,  U.S. Employer's Guide to Hiring International Students, is a more in-depth guide for U.S employers hiring international students.  The last is a document prepared by the NAFSA: Association for International Educators.
Login to Edit