Skip Navigation

On-Campus Employment

Your F-1 student status permits you to work on campus at the university that issued your I-20 while you are enrolled in a full course of study. Your Stony Brook issued I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at SBU only.

You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit. Maintaining status means that you are a full-time registered student (except for approved exceptions) in good academic standing with a valid I-20.

In order to perform any work, you need a Social Security Number. Click here for instructions on obtaining your SSN.

What is Considered On-Campus Employment?

Employment for SBU
Work on school premises, employed by commercial firms
Work done at off-campus locations, but treated as on-campus

What is NOT Considered On-Campus Employment?

You may be surprised to hear that employment at Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Child Care Center, and most businesses located within CEWIT are NOT considered on-campus employment.

Employment with these businesses is considered “off-campus employment” and require off-campus work authorization (ie CPT or OPT).

Eligibility and Hours

Eligibility for on-campus employment
Guidelines and restrictions
How many hours a week can I work?
Expiration of on-campus eligibility


Finding employment on campus