Skip Navigation

Employment and Training

The U.S. government considers any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit as employment.  As an international student in F-1 status you are eligible for on-campus employment and approved off-campus employment, known as “practical training."

Off-campus employment requires authorization prior to engaging in any form of paid or unpaid employment. You should not work off campus until you have received authorization in the form of an updated I-20 or Employment Authorization Document (EAD).