Like most Honors programs, the University Scholars Program has requirements that all students must abide by in order to maintain their place in the Program.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (students whose GPA falls below a 3.0 will lose their SCH designation and all privileges that come with it. If, and when, their GPA returns to the 3.0 minimum, they may e-mail the department to request reinstatement. Please note, once you are deactivated from the SCH Program twice, you are no longer eligible to request reinstatement to the Program)
- Not be found responsible of academic dishonesty (students in the Program who are found responsible are permanently dismissed from the Program and are not eligible to rejoin)
- Obtain a Satisfactory ("S") grade in your SCH 101 class, and a passing grade (C or higher) in SCH 102. Scholars who receive a "U" in their SCH 101 course, or do not successfully pass their 102 class, are permanently removed from the Program
- Complete the EXP+ category in the Stony Brook Curriculum
- Satisfy the event requirement (outlined below)
The event requirement is mandatory, regardless of a student's class or work schedule.
The only exception to this requirement is for students who are studying abroad, or
enrolled in Semester by the Sea. All Scholars are expected to attend at least one
"for-credit" Scholars event per semester.
Continuing students at Stony Brook (rising sophomores through first semester juniors), with an exceptional academic record (minimum 3.6 GPA) and high levels of demonstrated leadership and involvement on-campus, may request consideration to join the Scholars Program, however acceptance is extremely competitive and contingent upon a clear judicial/conduct check and a grade review. In order to apply, please send an email containing a resumé, and letter of intent (indicating why you want to join the Program, what you believe you can bring to it, and what you hope to get out of it) to the Director of the Scholars Program, Jeremy Marchese, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Beginning Fall 2020, continuing students may only apply to join for a Fall term, and application materials may ONLY be sent during the month of June.