Media Arts (ACH)
The Media Arts (MDA) Academy program is for students interested in careers in Media Arts. The Media Arts Academy is located in Douglass College and is affiliated with the Arts, Culture and Humanities Undergraduate College.
Office Hours: Tuesdays 3:30-5pm in Douglass College; Weds 2-3pm in Staller Center 3016
What is a minor in Media Arts?
The academic component of the Living Learning Center for Media Arts will include course offerings from the Media Minor, the Journalism Minor and other academic programs on campus with an emphasis in media studies. Projects connected to a variety of student media organizations (WUSB-FM, 3TV, Statesman, Stony Brook Press, Blackworld, en Accion, Shelanu, Specula, Society of Professional Journalists) and programs sponsored by the Martin Buskin Committee on Campus Journalism will also be offered in association with the Media Arts Living Learning Center.
For information on the Media Minor requirements, click here
What activities take place in the Media Arts Academy?
Building on a strong relationships with the above student media organizations, Media Arts Academy programs include the following:
- Media Month - a theme month in the spring dedicated to educational and social programs centered around media issues and events;
- Trips to media/journalism/music venues and sites on Long Island and New York City;
- Faculty round table discussions on issues related to media (diversity, minorities in the media, women's images);
- Professionals from Newsday, News 12, SONY Music and the L.I. Music Hall of Fame give guidance and career development support;
- Programs focusing on Media and the Law;
- Programs focusing on Advertising & Marketing;
- Student Television Recording from the Tabler Center for the Arts;
- Live WUSB-FM Broadcasts from the Tabler Center for the Arts.