Stony Brook University Department & Operator Responsiblities
SBU Departmental and individual vehicle operators' responsibilities are as follows:
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for ensuring that the SBU employees and/or assigned vehicle/equipment operators are properly licensed and qualified according to the type of vehicle/equipment they are operating. The SBU Department is also required to maintain all such related documentation as required for operations.
- The Department of Transportation & Parking Operations is responsible for issuing vehicle/equipment fuel keys, assigning employee identification numbers and managing the SBU Fuel Station on SBU West Campus.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for managing their assigned vehicle/equipment fuel keys and ensuring that fuel keys are properly assigned to personnel, funding accounts and vehicles/equipment at all times. SBU Departments are also required to ensure that their assigned personnel have signed for and are complying with the SBU Fuel Station Requirements and Instructions at all times.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for the timely delivery of vehicle/equipment to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility for Preventative Maintenance Inspections and New York State Inspections. The SBU Automotive Repair Facility is located on the West Campus of Stony Brook University, next to Campus Operations & Maintenance on Circle Road and its hours of operation are 7:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Fridays on non-University Holidays.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for monitoring vehicle/equipment usage, condition, cleanliness and signs of abuse.
- Stony Brook University Departments are required to ensure the following:
- SBU Department vehicles/equipment have properly maintained fluid levels, tire pressure and fuel quantity in order to remain in working condition.
- All vehicles/equipment brought to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility have at least 1/2 tank of fuel in them.
- SBU Departments are also required to report anything unusual about the operation of their vehicles/equipment to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility.
- The Stony Brook University vehicle/equipment operator is responsible for reporting any accidents, safety issues and/or damages to their assigned vehicle/equipment to University Police, the SBU Automotive Repair Facility and their respective Department immediately.
- All Stony Brook University vehicle/equipment purchases, registering (for license plates), repairs and/or modifications must be coordinated through the SBU Automotive Repair Facility.
- Stony Brook University Departments are required to designate a "vehicle/equipment coordinator" for each vehicle/equipment they operate. The vehicle/equipment coordinator is selected by each SBU Department and should be a Stony Brook University employee who is familiar with the Departments' vehicle/equipment needs.
- Stony Brook University departments are required to ensure that their vehicles/equipment are properly assigned to personnel and funding accounts at all times.
Surplus or Transfer a Vehicle To Another Department
Should an SBU Department desire to submit any updates pertaining to this information, they are required to complete an SBU Fleet Information Change Form. Additionally, SBU departments who desire to surplus or transfer vehicles/equipment from their fleet are required to complete a SBU Department Surplus Vehicle Form and a SBU Property Control Form.
Please submit the above completed form to:
- Email email@example.com or,
- Fax to the Automotive Repair Facility at (631) 632-4615 or,
- Deliver in person to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility located within the West Campus Operations Service Compound.
For additional information, please contract:
SBU Automotive Repair Facility
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2001
Phone: (631) 632-6422