News & Alerts
Parking on Campus
The Department of Transportation and Parking fully understands the challenges with parking on campus, and we pledge to continue to make improvements to the University's parking and transportation infrastructure. As part of that pledge, we are currently going through the solicitation process to hire a Parking Consulant firm to help us identify both current and future parking needs and improvements.
In the meantime, we are pleased to announce the following transportation and parking improvements that werre completed this summer:
- Kelly Parking Lot - 47 underutilized residential parking spaces reassigned to commuter parking spaces. Additionally, a new bus stop was added on Circle Road at the entrance to the Kelly Parking Lot.
Mendelsohn & H Parking Lot (M&H) - 34 metered parking spaces reassigned to residential
parking spaces at Tubman and Chávez Halls.
- Admin Overflow Parking Lot - To mitigate the loss of metered spaces in the M&H Parking Lot, 10 Faculty/Staff parking spaces reassigned to metered parking spaces in the Admin Overflow Parking Lot.
- Tabler Parking Lot - 113 additional Faculty/Staff parking spaces (up from 294 F/S parking spaces). Includes 61 new F/S parking spaces gained from removing islands, and 52 underutilized residential parking spaces reassigned to F/S parking spaces.
- Stadium Parking Lot - 85 underutilized parking spaces reassigned to Faculty/Staff parking spaces. Upon completion of the new Stony Brook Union next calendar year, F/S spaces will increase by another 79 parking spaces for a total of 164 additional F/S parking spaces.
- Improved roadways - Repaved Circle Road from the traffic circle at Marburger Drive to the North P Parking Lot. Work included new drainage, new curbs, and new ADA-accessible ramps. All roadways throughout West and South Campuses were restriped.
- Maintenance and improvements to the Administration Parking Garage - Ongoing multi-year project includes enhancements to stairwells, replacement of expansion joints, and other structural improvements. We are in the 2 nd year of this 5-year project. Work for this year will end when the weather becomes too cold.
New Fueling System and Procedure
The Department of Transportation and Parking is pleased to introduce our new fueling system at the South P Lot. The system will begin operation on Monday morning, January 29 th, 2018. Please become familiar with the operation by viewing the instructions provided below.
The new system will no longer use the currently issued fuel keys. In addition, the process of dispensing fuel will require a valid SBU ID card - No fuel will be dispensed without swiping a valid SBU ID card .
Over the past several weeks, the Automotive Department has worked diligently to install new equipment in our vehicles, which is required to work with this system. If you have a vehicle that has not been retrofitted with this new equipment, you will need to visit the automotive garage prior to fueling in order to have this new equipment installed.
For any questions or concerns regarding this new procedure, please contact Transportation at 631-632-6219.
Faculty/Staff Renewal Notice
Permits ordered online can be picked up at Parking Services (2-3 days) or mailed home (1 week). If you choose to have the permit mailed home, please confirm the address in the parking system is accurate. Once your permit has been renewed your old permit will be expired after 10 business days. Please be sure to destroy the old permit or return it to Parking Services.
Please note that all outstanding parking fines must be paid in full before a renewal can be processed.
Parking meters now exclusively accept credit or debit cards at all pay lot stations.